TR NFork Kings/Red Mt. Basin 7/16-7/22/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Thebrenner »

I have enjoyed reading TR and gaining valuable intel on this site for the past year and thought it was time I contributed my own TR.
I left Santa Barbara around 5pm on Tuesday 7/16 and arrived at a forest service campground on Dinkey Creek Rd close to midnight. Woke early and refreshed the next morning, hit the ranger station for my permit and was at Maxon Trailhead and on the trail by 10. I usually enter the Sierra from the Eastern side so it was an enjoyable change hiking through the trees on the Western side.
IMG_0676-2.jpg
I met a father and son hiking out and after talking to them about the incredible beauty at the North Fork of the Kings River I decided to hike my intended loop counterclockwise. I was almost the only person at the river and enjoyed two glorious days investigating and comparing swimming holes.
IMG_0682.jpg
After two days of swimming, exploring and relaxing on the North Fork I headed up to Devils Punchbowl. The trail was a bit hard to follow in places. There were lots of mosquitos…..but the
meadows I walked alongside are some of the most beautiful ones I've seen in the Sierra.
(Sorry, I wasn't able to re-size the photos of the meadow. Not sure why. I'm new to all this)

I spent two rainy afternoons and nights at Disappointment Lake. I had the whole lake to myself and it was beautiful. My site was up on the rocks where a nice breeze kept the mosquitos away.
IMG_0689.jpg
I day hiked up, over and half way down the other side of Hell For Sure Pass. I greeted the familiar peaks of the Eastern side like a long lost friend. Made it back to camp just was the sky opened up and it hailed and poured and thundered and lightening all afternoon and evening.
IMG_0691.jpg
I enjoyed going somewhere new, different and beautiful with hardly any people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR NFork Kings/Red Mt. Basin 7/16-7/22/2014

Post by maverick »

Hi Thebrenner,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful TR,
pictures, and becoming a contributing member here on HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the report.
That's certainly one of my favorite areas-
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/Red ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/Ind ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great TR and wonderful photos. Been across that boardwalk a few times myself.
Thanks for sharing.
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Post by Silverfox »

Pothole lake looks like an interesting swimming hole, surprised to hear about all those mosquitoes given such a dry year.

Silverfox
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks TheBrenner, I enjoyed your tr and photos. I love those swimming holes along the North Fork!
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

Yes I LOVED the pothole swimming holes. The water was warm and the bottom was sandy and the rocks were smooth…what could be better? And I too, was surprised by all the mosquitos in such a dry year.
Heading out soon for the Circle of Solitude and will post another TR upon my return.
:cool:
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Nice trip report. When I visited Disappointment Lake, I never understood who come up with that name! I love Hell for Sure Lake, and have a long trip planned someday to go back, and take in Martha Lake and Blackcap Basin as well.