Blackcap Traverse

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Eric1234
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Blackcap Traverse

Post by Eric1234 »

a grand tour of every peak on the LeConte and White divides
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... verse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Blackcap Traverse

Post by giantbrookie »

Grand tour indeed! I was actually planning to get some work started this morning, but I couldn't resist reading this first--so much for my morning work ethic. What a terrific report (as always, but this one is extra special) with great photos and cool climbing. What is particularly amazing about this is taking the full pack up and down all those class 3 and 4 moves. This is not your average off trail backpacking trip, that is for sure. I have been to some of these spots (the lakes below many of those peaks, especially), including Reinstein and Finger (a peak I too wanted to do for many years until finally getting there in 2008), but some of the other peaks have longed looked pretty appealing to me. Black Crown and Bibay have stood out when I looked at them from various places, although Black Crown for all its good looks, loses considerable climbing appeal because of that splintery loose metamorphic crud.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

Such an awesome trip, and neat trip report. Thank you for sharing.
brvoyles
Topix Acquainted

Post by brvoyles »

Epic! Thanks for posting.

Brian
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mradford »

Wow, awesome trip! Made me tired just reading about the last two days. Thanks for posting.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Eric,

Your trip reports are superb. I'm envious and humbled by your ambition and execution. As irritated as I am at a young punk doing exactly what I'd like to be able to do, I come away from your descriptions more informed and more eager to go. Carry on dude.
(I think I described that summit as "shitty" cus it was covered in Marmot dung.)
DG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Eric1234,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tseaney
Topix Novice

Post by tseaney »

Fantastic trip report and beautiful pictures...so jealous!
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgment.