Sony RX100 III

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sony RX100 III

Post by vitaminC »

Has anyone taken the Sony RX100 III out on a trip? It seems like it would be a great choice for backpacking thanks to the small size/weight and (relatively) big sensor and fast lens. Using it as my camera option would take at least 2lbs off my packed weight, which would make me very happy :D

Opinions on the previous versions are welcome as well, as I think it's primarily the lens that's changed, not the sensor.

Reading the specs it seems that the main drawback is going to be battery life. Sometimes I think my DSLR actually runs on fairy dust, because even after a weeklong backpack (~1k clicks) trip the battery gauge didn't change!
----------------
Lots of photos
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Re: Sony RX100 III

Post by DriveFly44 »

I love my RX100 and really value the trade off of size and weight....especially for long trips. All of the pics of my JMT hike last summer were taken with the RX100. You can check them out here if you wish.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ladd
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted

Post by vitaminC »

Nice, thanks!

How did you find the battery life? That's probably my biggest concern, as I tend to push the shutter button a lot...
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

Battery life was awesome. I took about 1500 pics. I brought a charger, which was small, and three batteries. I never came close to running out. I recharged at two of our resupplies. I had one battery take me from MTR to the last day before we finished at Whitney.

Ladd
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

vitaminC wrote:Has anyone taken the Sony RX100 III out on a trip? It seems like it would be a great choice for backpacking thanks to the small size/weight and (relatively) big sensor and fast lens. Using it as my camera option would take at least 2lbs off my packed weight, which would make me very happy :D

Opinions on the previous versions are welcome as well, as I think it's primarily the lens that's changed, not the sensor.

Reading the specs it seems that the main drawback is going to be battery life. Sometimes I think my DSLR actually runs on fairy dust, because even after a weeklong backpack (~1k clicks) trip the battery gauge didn't change!
I took a three day trip last weekend to the Dinkey Lake Wilderness carrying the new model Sony RX100 111. I have not had time to post a trip report, or photos. But I will say this...the short battery life is an issue. My first battery went dead about photo #160?, and my second battery was low at the end of the trip. I think I took a total of about 280 photos, and was fully charged up with both batteries before leaving. I did use the viewfinder, which uses more power, but what the heck, the built-in viewfinder is one of the big selling points for me, why would I not use it! I did have the camera in airplane mode (to keep the wifi off), to conserve power. But I love the camera, and the results are pretty good compared to most compact cameras, in my opinion. I will try and submit more details in the next few days with some shots.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Post by dapperdave »

Re battery life, my first trip with my mk RX100 was similar to richlong's however subsequent trips have been much better. I wonder if it might be worth giving the batteries a couple of charge/discharge cycles before the 1st long trip?

Dave
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am going out again this weekend, so I will see how the batteries holdup. Hopefully, I will get a few more shots than last time.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I thought I would deviate from discussing the Sony battery to talking about the Sony RX100 III in general. I really like the camera, and I find it easy to shoot with. My goal was to get my camera weight way down due to back surgery last fall, and this camera with my little Osprey carrying bag reduces my weight to 15 ounces, instead of the minimum 2 pounds I use to carry with my Micro Four Thirds camera/lens into the backcountry(not including tripod). I know the camera is not going to give me what a dslr with great lenses would, but I was after a good quality compact camera, and I think this one suits my needs right now. I carried it for the first time on a trip July 25-27.
Some of the things I like the most:
Built in viewfinder plus a pretty good LCD screen.
Shooting in RAW: the processing time is very fast when you shoot a burst, or bracket exposures, compared to many other compact cameras
Custom settings: I found it easy to set up 3 typical scenarios for shooting, and not have to fiddle around much with camera menus after that.
The lens is fast. I can vary ISO up to about 800 to change exposure levels without worrying too much about a drop off in quality.
24mm wide angle is great

A couple of things I am not sure about: the battery life seems short. When I take a long trip, I don't want to have to take a bunch of spare batteries, or a solar charger. One spare battery would be no big deal, but I went thru 2 batteries in 3 days. Perhaps this will improve. Also, I had the camera on at times viewing images, not just snapping shots, and turning it off. According to the specs, if using the viewfinder, which I do, the battery is only rated for 230 shots.
Filter system: The only adapter available for filters like a polarizer or graduated neutral density seems to be an adapter that you glue on, or it sticks on. Seems like a weak design for such an expensive camera. The Sony has a built in ND, but it is not a blanket solution for high contrast Sierra scenery.
The third issue: I wish the camera was cheaper! But I look at it like buying lightweight backpack equipment, getting weight down can cost a lot of $$.
All in all, I am very satisfied with the camera. Most cameras I have carried into the backcoutry, there has been some kind of compromise to save weight. I like the quality of the photos. I think a shooter with more ability than I could get a lot more out of this camera.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted

Post by vitaminC »

Thanks again for all the replies!

My plan is to "try before you buy" :) I will rent one for my next trip and see how it goes. Now, I just need to get out there on that trip...
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I just ordered the RX100 III. The EVF was the deal maker for me. I took my Canon 6D and my wife carries a Canon G1X for a 17 day JMT trip this year. We both hate using cameras without view finders. The 6D was a blast but added considerable weight. The G1X has a nice sensor but hardly a compact camera for the people concerned about weight.

I use a 5 watt solar charger when backpacking for my iPhone and my SteriPens. I ordered extra batteries and the very small USB external charger so I can recharge on the trail. The Suntastic charger works very well on the top of my pack secured with Velcro. Its a half pound but puts 1 amp of 5 volt USB output to my devices. Chargers things up very well when I am hiking in the sunshine or sitting around taking a break or while in camp. I brought 7 Canon 6D batteries on the trip and only needed 3. I wasn't charging them since my Canon charger wasn't USB compatible.

I hope this camera keeps me satisfied for backpacking and as a carry anywhere camera when I don't want to travel with the full DSLR and extra lenses.

I get the camera this Friday and will take in on a plane trip back to Michigan soon. Should be a lot of fun.
Last edited by JWreno on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff