Water along HST?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
sasprr
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Water along HST?

Post by sasprr »

Hi.. this is my first post as I've been lurking for awhile. I'm doing the High Sierra Trail with my two brothers and one's fiancee starting a week from today. Been trying to get a gauge on the water situation considering the drought.

Is it gonna be dry enough that we should be topping off every chance we get?

-Eric
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water along HST?

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric,

Welcome to HST! You will be fine, the HST runs next to or crosses creeks and
rivers that flow all the time. Meherten, Buck, Lone Pine, Big Arroyo, Funston, Kern,
Wallace, and Whitney Creek/River are reliable water sources.

Make sure to get water at the Big Arroyo before ascending up to the Chagoopa
Plateau, it is over 5 miles before the next possible water source (Chagoopa Creek)
or 9.7 miles to Moraine Lake, if that is your intend destination for the night.

Just to let you know, SEKI is reporting 50 downed trees on the HST in the Chagoopa
section.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sasprr
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by sasprr »

Thanks for the info, Maverick! Glad to know there's reliable sources.

Only other question I have is what sort of temperatures to expect. From what I've gathered the last few months, mid-30s sound like the lowest it'll likely be, and mostly probably being mid-40s?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Warm to hot in the Kern Canyon during the day. The rest depends on the weather
at the time of your trip, right now there is a monsoonal flow that is creating muggy
conditions, with afternoon thunderstorms.
30's for the higher, and 40's (upper 40's for the Kern section) for the lower
elevations sound right.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org