Off-trail suggestions between Evolution & Le Conte Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Off-trail suggestions between Evolution & Le Conte Canyon

Post by cvr »

Hi all. I am starting a 5-day trip next week over Lamarck Col and out Bishop Pass. I visited this area many years ago, but have recently focused on other areas. The Darwin and Dusy areas are great and will take care of themselves, but knowing that the JMT part of my route is going to be pretty populated by backcountry standards, I am hoping for some suggestions for off-trail travel (2 days), fishing and camping (1 night) between Evolution L. and Le Conte Canyon. I could also camp somewhere other than Le Conte (again looking for solitude and fishing) before heading up to Dusy the next AM if anyone has a suggestion for a second night.

My goal is for travel between Darwin and Le Conte while enjoying some solitude, visiting some beautiful, less-travelled areas and getting to camp at a lake(s) where the fishing may be good.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcomed! If sensitive fishing info can be offered, please PM me.

Many thanks in advance!

CVR
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Off-trail suggestions between Evolution & Le Conte Canyon

Post by maverick »

CVR wrote:
I am hoping for some suggestions for off-trail travel (2 days), fishing and camping
(1 night) between Evolution L. and Le Conte Canyon. I could also camp somewhere
other than Le Conte (again looking for solitude and fishing) before heading up to
Dusy the next AM if anyone has a suggestion for a second night.

My goal is for travel between Darwin and Le Conte while enjoying some solitude,
visiting some beautiful, less-travelled areas and getting to camp at a lake(s) where
the fishing may be good.
McGee Lakes and Ladder Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

Thanks Maverick. I have looked at Ladder on the map many times, so I am adding it to my planned route. Again, many thanks.

CVR
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Just about every spur use route to lakes either with names or not off the JMT & PCT where one has to climb more than a couple hundred feet above those trails is likely to be empty. The notion that some of such places might be popular with groups is misplaced. It always amazes me how virtually devoid of day hikers, backpackers, fishermen, and peak baggers much of the Sierra is away from trails and obvious routes. Any place with a name like a lake or peak even off trails is sure to draw a few visitors occasionally however there are many more places without names. Not that no one has ever been to most of such places but rather so infrequently that it is highly unlikely one may run into anyone. As someone that has been venturing into such places for decades, yes occasionally one does see others but so what. You can probably just look at a topo and explore sure to be alone. And for fishermen, some of those no name places are prizes though most off trail explorers on a public board like this are only going to make public ho hum waters they visited.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

I agree for the most part, although asking for some insight from other like-minded people is often very helpful. I certainly help out when I have specific knowledge of an area. Its funny that I started backpacking in college when I was tired of the crowds while car camping and then started more off-trail travel after too many nights sharing a backcountry lake with another tent! :) It's all relative of course and I have met some great people while sharing a lake at 11K'. It is amazing, however, how much solitude one can gain with only the smallest amount of extra effort.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Besides McGee Lakes, there are some lovely unnamed lakes on the bench west of McGee Canyon. Lake 10554 is the most spectacular, but the others are pretty too. Definitely get some solitude there. You can make it a looplet by heading up McGee Canyon and returning east-ish from 10554 to McClure Meadow.