Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

Post by maytag »

Hi,
I am thinking of heading to the Mineral King area but heard and read in some TR's that the marmots can be bad news for the vehicles parked at the trail head...Anyone have any recent experience with this?
Thank you -
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

Post by AlmostThere »

It's been an ongoing thing for years - yes, they still do it. Chicken wire can be bent and gotten through - friends let a marmot OUT of a chicken wire fence around a car. A big tarp you drive on and secure around the car with rope seems the most straightforward and effective option. Some people leave the hood open - not sure about that one.
maytag
Topix Acquainted

Post by maytag »

Thanks...appreciate the reply. I figured this was the case but just wanted to double check. Has anyone ever tried moth balls hanging in various places under the car? I know that they can ward off skunk, raccoon and opossum. Just a wild thought.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

They're generally worse during spring and then they taper off as the summer unfolds. If it's a concern the MK ranger is always very helpful. You could give a call to determine the current conditions.
Buford
Topix Acquainted

Post by Buford »

Just got back from Mineral King. Rangers said no marmot damage in a month. It is only an early season thing, timing is partially related to snowpack. It is late enough in the year now that car protection is probably not needed.

Only one car at the sawtooth pass trail head was tarped. Your mileage may vary.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm going in late August and I'll be tarping it. Yeah, it's an early season thing, but marmots have been known to ignore the calendar before.

Just like there are people who get lazy with the bear canister because "a bear never touched it" and wham!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well AT reminds me of this marmot experience in Mineral King. Pardon the old (repeat) story).

I parked early in the morning next to the trail head for Sawtooth Peak. There were many cars in the lot, most not tarped/fenced, so I "deduced" my car would be okay given the car population.

Later that day I was returning to the trail head, where the trail descends via switch backs for a half mile or more. From that vantage point, I could see directly down to the parking lot - and to my dismay my car was the only one remaining in the lot.

As I got a bit closer, I could see movement around my car......so I started hustling down the remainder of the trail. Sure enough, it was those pesky marmots scampering around. I tried using my key FOB to honk the horn as I got closer, but to no avail - the car was still out of range.

When I got to the car, several marmots hurried off. I was concerned they did damage, so the first thing I did was start the car, thankfully it started fine. I was ready to get on the road, but just before I put the car in gear I had a gut feeling I should check under the hood. When I opened it, a big fat red marmot jumped out of the engine compartment. :eek: It was then I noticed he had consumed much of the insulation from under the hood. The car made funny sounds all the way down the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

I'm a 20+ year visitor to Mineral King who has parked at the Sawtooth and Mosquito Trailheads countless times. I guess I'm very very lucky because I've never bothered to take any marmot precautions, and have never suffered any damage. It's dumb to keep taking my chances, but I probably will anyway. :)

As for the methods discussed already, I think the tarp would be the most effective. I have seen plenty of marmots perched atop engine compartments on cars with hoods left open. I think the reasoning is they prefer a hiding place, but that's not true. And they'll get past the wire "fences" pretty easily.

I always wonder if my AAA Plus will get me a tow out of there if I ever need one? :) AAA Plus gets you a 100 mile tow; there don't seem to be any restrictions I can find that exclude windy mountain roads. And I'd get an extra day or two in MK waiting for the guy to show up!

I think if you really want true peace of mind, use the tarp and bring an extra radiator hose ,just in case. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JayOftheMountains,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the informative post and pictures. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Yes, welcome JOM - nice pictures.

Since this thread bubbled up, here's an update from Sunday, August 17, 2014.

I made a quick day hike to Franklin Lakes. No Marmots were observed at the trailhead in the morning or upon my return in the afternoon. This would be typical for late summer of course, but a few cars did take precautions anyway. Only saw one little guy along the trail (albeit he was a fat one).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.