Red Lake trailhead... road conditions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Red Lake trailhead... road conditions?

Post by artrock23 »

My girlfriend and I are planning to climb Split Mtn. this weekend from Red Lake.

Does anyone have any info on the road to the Red Lake trailhead? I'm told that it can be somewhat rough and difficult to find. I'll be driving a F250 pick-up (not 4x4).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Red Lake trailhead... road conditions?

Post by Shawn »

Hey Art -

I drove up there in in November of 2012, in the dark. No doubt things have changed and I'm sure you've done a bunch of research already - but here's some info.

On 395 north, take Fish Springs Road, make a left on Tinnemaha Road and follow it south/west to Fuller Road - the entry to Tinnemaha campground. Proceed west on Fuller road, it'll soon turn to dirt, then navigate to the trail head by going around the gated private property. Below is the route I took (3 images).

I was in an Xterra at the time. While the road was rough in places, I never used 4WD. The roughest part was at the (dry) creek crossing were the road had a deep gully across it. I would think your truck has equal or better clearance than my X.

FYI the trail head sign is NOT the start of the trail. The trail is to the north of the sign near a bunch of treees The north end of where the road ends. Also, the trail is good for the first mile or so, then becomes a dismal vertical slog without much of a trail. About a mile below the first lake, the trail becomes much better.

Good luck on Split - take lots of pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Red Lake trailhead... road conditions?

Post by artrock23 »

Thanks for the info and photos, Shawn. Both will be helpful. :thumbsup:

I'd already seen the aerial pics on SP (with the Split Mtn. photos), and was going to print them out.
Hopefully the road will be in decent shape.