TR Devils Peak 7/27/2014

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Devils Peak 7/27/2014

Post by Gazelle »

Decided to go up another ogul peak Devils peak today. Have been looking at it from every direction for years and finally went. Only 4 miles with an elevation gain of 1129 feet, started from the Palisade creek trail and then found the old trail to logging roads, to the base of the north side. Up a class 2 gully around the west side to what looked like a good way to the summit, it was class 2-3. Summit was swarming with some kind of flying ant/fly? So much so that you could not open your mouth at all. Did not find the register but did not look very hard because of the bugs hard to keep your eyes open even. Walked/scrambled along the ridge just to check it out. Went down a different gully, then should have traversed to the trail I had found but instead went straight down to a willow infested hell. Found the logging road and hiked out. Left the truck at 8 back at 11. Nice quick peak that I should have done years ago, want to go back to spend some more time up there as the views where obscured today due to the smoke.
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: TR Devils Peak 7/27/2014

Post by cefire »

Nice trip! Was just up there myself a few weeks ago - REALLY fun scrambling up there, although I think we climbed different routes in comparing the pictures. Can't wait to get back to this one :D
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Which way did you go? Any bugs at the top? Is there a register?

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Kristine,

I'm glad you were able to get out. This is a peak we need to summit.

"...willow infested hell" :nod: :eek: :) :nod:

We know what you mean!

Thanks for the report!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Yuberiver wrote:Which way did you go? Any bugs at the top? Is there a register?

Kristine
We found the use trail that ascends the Northern shoulder and then took the first gully as you traverse around to the west. It is a really fun approach and nothing more than loose class 2 until you gain the ridge. From there, you can work your way south until you hit the gap separating the northern ridge from the actual summit. Picking your way through the gap is class 3 work with reasonable exposure (we found that a MUCH easier route is found if you simply descend down to the treeline and finish the ascent from the SW aspect (this is also what most guides suggest, but when on the rock, I usually end up picking my own (foolish) route :confused: )

Never saw a register on top but I didn't look all that hard either. No bugs either, but saw the start of flies and ladybugs this weekend up at Sierra Buttes.

Northwest Gully

Crossing the Gap

On top
Last edited by cefire on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

That's a neat little climb. I used to hike around that area a lot to fish the lakes (many of which are now fishless) and I always thought Devils Peak was a fine looking summit that looked potentially fun. I may have to scramble up there the next time I'm in the area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;