Morgan Pass approach to Mt. Morgan (S)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
mikeduffy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Morgan Pass approach to Mt. Morgan (S)

Post by mikeduffy »

Friends are planning a Mt. Morgan ascent from the Morgan Pass area. We all have limited mountaineering experience. Anyone come in from this side. Any route ideas?
calipidder
Topix Regular

Re: Morgan Pass approach to Mt. Morgan (S)

Post by calipidder »

Do you mean directly from the pass or from elsewhere on the trail to the pass? The traditional and straightforward approach is to take the trail to Francis Lake from the east side of Rock Creek Lake, then ascend the slopes to the north ridge and on to the summit. It's a really nice climb, easy terrain if you're on-route. I have no idea if there is anything from Morgan Pass proper, but from all of my pictures it sure looks like it would be a technical climb.
mikeduffy
Topix Newbie

Post by mikeduffy »

Thanks for the reply. I believe that the approach my friends are contemplating is to take the old mining roads north from Morgan Pass trail into the cirque that runs along the east side of the north/south ridge extending south from Mt. Morgan. Along the north end of the cirque, it appears that there is a scree filled chute that could take one to the summit slope (based on Google Earth). Secor references the east side of Mt. Morgan as Class 2-3, but since there is no other description in his book, I'm not sure what specific route he is referencing.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Ah, I see. Frankly that sounds miserable. :p The route I described is a really nice climb and you can descend through nice sandy bomber slopes that make for some fun times!

http://photos.calipidder.com/SierraAdve ... -and-Fall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikeduffy
Topix Newbie

Post by mikeduffy »

Thanks Calipidder! I agree that it sounds terrible from the southeast. The photos of your hike were beautiful. Hopefully they can help me convince my friends to follow in your footsteps.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

What experience does you group have? Class 2-3 is not for the inexperienced,
backpacking and climbing are not the same. If you are comfy on solid class 2
or 3 passes than go for it, but if not, be very cautious before embarking on such
an adventure. Yes Cali's Tr is enticing, but make sure you take a reality check
before going.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org