What happens if a tree falls at Shaver Lake?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

cars 1.jpg
cars 2.jpg
I think markskor actually saw it fall. I was inside and heard it. (my car was a couple hundred feet away.)

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What happens if a tree falls at Shaver Lake?

Post by maverick »

Darn :eek: , glad no one was hurt Mike.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Me too! I think some people who were near by had to do some laundry, though!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

The fear of a tree falling on me and keeping me from coming back to my wife has always been slightly in my mind. This picture just increased 1 bar for me.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have moved camp multiple times to get away from sketchy looking trees. But right there in a parking lot....who would have known!
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted

Post by evilgenius32 »

This happened to my grandparent's friends not more than a month ago! Totaled their car as well.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

sparky wrote:I have moved camp multiple times to get away from sketchy looking trees.
I've done the same, I even look for dead trees when deciding where to camp for the night, a settle in accordingly. But it looks like this one was green and apparently healthy. Scary! All the same, its good that no one was hurt.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Whoa that's pretty scary, especially because it looks to be an ordinary green tree.
sparky wrote:I have moved camp multiple times to get away from sketchy looking trees. But right there in a parking lot....who would have known!
I have certainly done that before. One I remember vividly was a campsite I had set up on the shore of Little Elk Lake in the Marble Mtns (ca 1985). For some reason I didn't notice the dead tree over the camp until the wind picked up and the tree was making all these creaking sounds. I quickly moved the camp. The tree did not come down that evening nor during the trip, but I have avoided sketchy trees when camping ever since then.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;