JMT 07 Trip Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightsider
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

JMT 07 Trip Suggestions

Post by rightsider »

Will be making my way out to the left coast and have 10-14 days available to play in the wild. It has been many, many moons since I visited the area, but have fond memories camping in the wild and driving in my dad's 65 Chevy Impala to the Weast Coast NP's. Most trips spent stretched out on the 50 lb canvas tent laying across the drive train bump on the floor board forming a large couch with the back seat. Now that's Sixties First Class. Anyway, I would like to pick a 25-75 mile stretch of the John Muir Trail to explore, but need some personal experiences/suggestions to help map my final adventure. I have read many great tales and realize my choices are wide open. No rock climbing, just fishing, hiking, backcountry camping, and thinking. Experienced, but not foolish. Appreciate any feedback. I will post my trip blog and add to the collection. My window of opportunity begins in late June through much of August. Thanks in advance for the advice.
saftey in numbers except in the wild
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Well...some people hike the entire JMT in 10-14 days, but not me !!
I suggest you start by looking at entry/exit points. A good trip would be to start in Yosemite, either in the vally or in Tuolumne and exit around Agnew or Red's meadow. I made that trip last Aug. and it was one of the most beautiful trips I have done. If you want to go farther, I'm not sure, but I think the next logical exit would be Edison Lake/ Vermillion valley resort. Get the Tom Harrison maps and study them.
I'm sure others will chime in and offer better suggestions.
Sierragator
Founding Member

Post by Sierragator »

Tom's suggestion is a good one. Another possibility is to go in at kearsarge pass (onion valley) and exit at either bishop pass or piute pass.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

The Other Tom wrote:Well...some people hike the entire JMT in 10-14 days, but not me !!...
That's not my style anymore, either. I hiked the JMT in 12 days, but that was 30 years ago. I certainly would not try that again, and I do not want to (maybe can't do it anymore, I am now 30 years older!). My style is much more relaxed now, stopping for a day or 2 or 3 in one location and enjoying all a particular spot has to offer before moving on.

This is what I recommend to anyone who has only a limited time to hike or camp. You cannot see it all, and trying to see/do as much as you can only leads to a 'If this is Tuesday morning this must be Kearsarge Pass' type of trip, and be filled with regrets over the side trips you didn't make, and the view you did not stop to enjoy.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

The Other Tom wrote:Well...some people hike the entire JMT in 10-14 days, but not me !
I did the JMT in 13 days with one layover day, and wouldn't do it like that again. Just too fast to really even spend time enjoying all the spots to enjoy along its length.

The comments with regards to entry and exit points is really something to consider. I'm personally more biased toward the southern parts. Kearsarge to Bishop or Piute pass would be a stretch I'd definitely love to experience again. It was also in my experience less populated than the other stretches. Another stretch that I could spend weeks exploring is Whitney to Kearsarge, where you have the entire stretch of the great western divide within reach to explore, as well as remote basins like wales and wallace lakes, wright lakes, vidette lakes, upper kern, upper basin. If your not entirely dialed into doing a stretch of the JMT, you may want to also consider doing some sort of loop that is more remote...
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Depending on hiking style:
Tuolomne to Mammoth, Mammoth to Mosquito Flat, Tuolomne to Mosquito Flat, Mosquito Flat to North or South Lake, North Lake to South Lake, South Lake to Onion Valley or Symmes Creek, Onion Valley to Whitney or Cottonwood/Horseshoe Meadow. Etc. Too many options to capture them all.

All of the above routes make excellent and moderate 7-10 day outings. Can go short and take time to fish, bag peaks, or simply explore. All have x-country options if you want some time away from the crowds (see Roper's High Route for descriptions). And these are just a sampling.

Or if you can work the logistics hike acroos the range. The High Sierra Trail, Kings Canyon to Whitney, Yosemite Valley to Mammoth, plus too many others to list.

Can't decide? Read some of the trip reports posted on this site, or on backpacker.com or thebackpacker.com. Whinett's Sierra South and Sierra North are also good references. But if it were me, and I had 10 days I would start at South Lake and exit over Italy Pass following Roper's High Route. Why? I've not done this bit before, and the trip reports of this segment have whetted my appetite. That said, these are all in the Sierra and IMHO there is no possibility of a bad trek. Steve
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

I concur! The exit over Italy is WICKED, IMHO...
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix