Nelson Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ericdanysh
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Nelson Lake

Post by ericdanysh »

Dear Members,
My friend and I are planning a trip from
Tuolumne Meadows to Nelson Lake on July 28, 2014. Does anyone know if there is water in the headwaters of Echo Creek? In other words, where is the next water source after Elizabeth Lake? Are there reasonable campsites to be found after crossing the Cathedral Range, but before arriving at the Lake? Anything else we should be aware of? Gratefully, Eric Danysh
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Nelson Lake

Post by oldranger »

Just speculation but I would not count on running water on your trip unless there are thunderstorms immediately prior to your visit. There are places to camp before Nelson but water will be iffy.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I would agree. Our experience a few years ago about this time was that water was iffy in Echo Creek...we didn't hear any until we heard it in the outlet of Nelson Lake

Are you worried about making it all the way to Nelson>? The trail is pretty straightforward out of Elizabeth Lake...and once you get over the crest you just follow the creek downhill until you can cut the corner of that ridge.

Just look carefully at the topo map. There are TWO small ridges that you have to cross to get over to Nelson. The second one is higher, and as I recall, steeper than the first one.

Pretty easy hiking though.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
ericdanysh
Topix Novice

Post by ericdanysh »

Dear Balzaccom,
Thanks for the useful information, and for the encouragement!
Eric
ericdanysh
Topix Novice

Post by ericdanysh »

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the prompt, helpful response.
Yours,
Eric