Need a porter

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Need a porter

Post by wanderin.jack »

Hello all,
Kind of a long story here but here's the deal. Earlier in the year I made arrangements with someone in Bishop to porter me in a resupply over the Shepard's Pass trail to the Tyndall Creek campground on the PCT on August 5 (for a fee). We (my wife and I) are taking the long way from Roads End to Onion Valley CG (16 days). We're leaving next Monday and all of a sudden I can't get a hold of the person who I had made arrangements with. I've heard she changed jobs and is now working in the backcountry. Are you or anyone you know interested in making some $ to take a long day hike with < 25 extra pounds?

Please call me 530.219.7900.

Thanks for considering this!
Wanderin' Jack
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need a porter

Post by rlown »

no packers in the area to deliver your goods? probably more like $$$ than $, but.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Yup like +$1,500 because no stock allowed on the Shepard's Pass trail (washed out last year) they have to come in at Horseshoe Meadows.
Wanderin' Jack
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ouch!
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

If it were going to be the following week I'd be interested.

Good luck!
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

My german grandma use to tell me that a lot of problems can be avoided in life by not trying to walk through closed doors. So I decided to hike out to OV, resupply and go do the Ionian Basin instead.
Wanderin' Jack
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Funny, I thought you might end up doing that. I spoke with more than one hiker this week/past weekend who was either resupplying someone else via OV, or who was venturing down out of the mountains via OV to personally resupply.

It sounds like you have a plan, but FYI, at OV, the young packer and the youngish new campground host are buddies, both great guys, and very helpful. I spoke with each some and my wife and kids spoke with each several times over about four days. I tend to disperse camp for free, but James is the friendliest and most helpful campground host I have ever experienced and he has been backpacking that area for decades.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Need a porter

Post by wanderin.jack »

In the end everything worked out perfectly. The porter showed up and was a totally rockstar.
Wanderin' Jack