Shepherd Pass conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd Pass conditions

Post by commonloon »

I did a week in the high country, just got back and wanted relay to conditions info for anyone planning a trip.

The washout: its basically the same, cross over near bottom, traverse a little bit up in it, then proceed parallel up along it until you hit the trail. Loose...

Snow: patchy snow above 10K ft. The snowfield at the top is about 5-6ft thick near the upper portion. It has some sun-cupped booted tracks, but there really isn't a easy track worn in. I used Kahtoola K10s w/ my trail runners and trekking poles. I guess someone with more experience and skills than me might be able to kick step across w/o crampons or micro-spikes, but I personally found it at the edge of my comfort zone even with my K10s.

I did see/talk to a few of climbers (mostly) on the way up on my way down. So, there may be more of track now.

I'll post some pics later of the pass for anyone interested.

In general everywhere else seemed unseasonably dry (obviously). Tyndal Creek for example, seemed nearly the same level as last Sept!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Shepherd Pass conditions

Post by Jimr »

We're always interested. Please post pics.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the update Commonloon! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Here is the pass:
pass.jpg
Here is where I crossed the snow field:
whereicrossed.jpg
Here is the lake above:
lake.jpg
Here is the plateau:
plateau.jpg
Tyndall Creek:
creek.jpg
Hope those help...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Shepherd Pass conditions

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ndwoods »

Thanks!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Shepherd Pass conditions

Post by Hobbes »

The Shepherd pass washout continues to pose problems to hikers, perhaps due to increased use and/or erosion. As of now, there are three possible alternative routes; I've taken two, so I figured I would post up some impressions. Maverick & Oleander also had some comments, which I can share as well.

Below is a simple hand-drawn map showing the basic situation:

Option 1: Proceed up trail to the actual point of the washout. Upclimb through loose scree to the top of the ravine/washout. Proceed back down to trail. Loose scree is an understatement; the conditions are actually a scree/talus avalanche that comes down with any movement. M & O took this route up and found it "challenging". Perhaps they can add some of their own personal thoughts when they return.

I took this route on the way back down. It took me around 15-20 minutes, and IMO has the potential to be dangerous.

Option 2: You will come to the ravine at the turn of a switchback around 100 yards before the actual trail washout. Here you will see a path through the ravine and up the other side, where a use trail has developed into the talus/trees/bush. This is the route I took on the way up, and while it also takes around 15-20 minutes, the bushwhacking & talus climb is all standard stuff.

Option 3: I met another downhill hiker above the Pothole while getting some water & taking a break. He had taken route 1 on the way up and described it as "getting your adrenalin going". I was probably 15-20 minutes ahead of him, and was finally on the other side of the ravine when he showed up on the other side ready to do his traverse.

I yelled across that I thought option 2 was much better, having done both. Since he was standing there, he could see that he could merely downclimb along the edge to the point of the ravine crossing, rather than backtrack and climb down through the talus. As he proceeded to climb down, I took off down the switchbacks. Around 3-4 minutes later, I was at the bottom of the switchbacks where the other hiker was also proceeding to join the trail!

Now, I don't know if he was an expert climber, or whether the downclimb is easier than the ascent, but after wasting 15-20 minutes in poor conditions doing option 1, I was kicking myself for not having done my original route. His approach, of course, was even better.

Anyone going up/down Shepherd will of course have to make their own personal decision when they get there. Here are some photos looking up and down @ the ravine washout. Looking at these photos doesn't begin to convey the scale of the situation. Note the size of the trees for some clues:

Down

Up
yosemint
Topix Newbie

Post by yosemint »

Thanks for the update. I've heard that the washout has caused some hikers to go astray and head out the wrong way. Hopefully your description will help others get passed it without problem

highsierrarambles.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Yosemint,

Welcome to HST! Hobbes is correct, personally I used a similar route on the way
out near the original trail, just a little down from it this time, but would not
recommend it to anyone with balance issues, and understanding the dynamics of
the terrain, or have a climbing background.

This was a mudslide, and rocks of all different sizes are packed in the mud.
With the dry weather the mud crumbles very easily and one should test each
rocks stability before committing, just like with any climbing.

The problem is that folks who do not take this approach will find that even
very large rocks will dislodge under the smallest amount of pressure or pull.
Wearing a pack will just add to ones difficulty with balance issues, and a fall
with a pack here could be very dangerous.

So unless you have some climbing background or have good balance/stability
you should find a crossing that is within your personal comfort level, and
pay no attention to what another backpacker priory to you just did, they
may have crossed this before or have climbing background which you are
not aware of.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I tried Option 1 (uphill along the ravine) on the way up the pass; and Option 2 (downhill into the ravine) on the way back down one week later. Personally, I found Option 2 to be MUCH BETTER. However, I'm not sure I took the exact Option 2 path described by Hobbes. Here is how Hobbes describes Option 2:

"You will come to the ravine at the turn of a switchback around 100 yards before the actual trail washout. Here you will see a path through the ravine and up the other side, where a use trail has developed into the talus/trees/bush. This is the route I took on the way up, and while it also takes around 15-20 minutes, the bushwhacking & talus climb is all standard stuff."

My version of Option 2 looked like the following. (This narrative is adjusted as if I were moving west up towards the pass rather than down east towards the trailhead.)

1. Descend straight down from the initial switchback to the bottom of the ravine, as described by Hobbes. There are ducks to follow.

2. Walk up-ravine, in the middle of the ravine, for about 3 minutes.

3. Get out of the ravine on the other side by following more ducks up a shallow exit.

4. Once on the other side of the ravine, a use trail will take you straight uphill to the official trail on the other side. 2 minutes. No bushwacking through plant life required.

This route was much more stable than up-and-over. No huge boulders waiting to dislodge straight out of the mud. And less steep in general. Ten minutes vs. 30 minutes.

Not sure I really "get" Option 3, though obviously it worked well for someone.

- Elizabeth