Edison Ferry closing?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
intrek38
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Edison Ferry closing?

Post by intrek38 »

I'll second that the ferry was running, at least on 7/8 & 7/9th. A lot of the PCT & JMT'ers using the VVR for resupply as well as entertainment, are being directed over Good Dale Pass as well as up or down the Bear Diversion trail. I took Good Dale Pass just cause I never took that route before. I would probably choose Silver Pass with the few extra miles next time cause Good Dale provided to many false summits for me anyways... I also chose the pass over the Graveyard Lakes to get back to Reds Meadow.. Either way, plenty of choices for this awesome area, ferry or not... Enjoy
fishhunter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by fishhunter »

We just returned from VVR and took the ferry outbound on 8/8/14 only (had planned roundtrip, will explain shortly). Due to low water levels, the ferry trip starts with a 5 minute van ride down to the water's edge (ramps are high and dry). VVR has several small skiffs tied up on the shoreline. They can seat 3-4 per trip.
EdisonFerry.JPG
Drop off point is about 1 mile short of usual (so saves ~4 miles of hiking). To be precise, 37.39085,-118.95551 (37.39085,-118.95551).

The hike across the dry lakebed to the trail is on packed sand, no problem really. Cost is $12 one-way / $20 round-trip.
Edison Dry Lake.JPG
The driver indicated that the Edison water levels were dropping 12-18" per day. However, the drop off point is in the area they quarried material for the dam, so it is deep with a steep bank. You have to pass through a narrow channel to get to it, but he indicated that they have to keep the water level sufficiently high to fill the channel in order to ensure that oxygenated water reaches the lower lake. So chances are even with lower water levels the ferry service should still be possible. We had rain/hail every day out so there was even a little natural replenishment!

Word of caution for those wanting round trip. VVR clearly was more interested in outbound service (on their scheduled times - 8, 9, 10. We provided our planned returned time prior to leaving and watched them write it on the calendar. We also informed the skiff driver. But on our return...no show. We debated whether we should have tipped the driver when he dropped us off (we had planned to tip generously on our return)...maybe so. In any event after waiting a while we then proceeded to walk the remaining 4 miles of shoreline to get back to Vermillion campground. :-({|=

So if you are planning on return trip, make sure you clearly communicate it...suggest giving them a note or something. They did have a sign at the other end of the lake that you could call them (using AT&T phone)...but we didn't take cell phone and in any case I believe their phone goes straight to recorded message saying their phone is currently out of operation.

It's a beautiful trail and the lake and stream levels appeared normal, so get out there, even if the ferry isn't running!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

My sons and I just did an Edison to Florence trip, just looking at Edison on the drive in I figured the ferry wasn't worth it, we just walked around the lake. VVR had signs at the trail junctions (JMT) advising that they were making multiple runs mornings only, and walking on the trail was best because the lake bottom was sandy/muddy. They advised going as far as you could on the trail, then cutting over to the water.