2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by freestone »

Was in, but now out. Look forward to the "all spots shall remain nameless" fish report Hobbes! :)
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

freestone wrote:Look forward to the "all spots shall remain nameless" fish report Hobbes! :)
I've been exchanging some emails with a fine gentleman from WZ. He mentioned he had fished a number of lakes in the region in ... wait for it ... 1958-1964 era. Yeah, he's 78 yo now, so he was in his 20s.

What's cool is he's a friend of Bob Rockwell - yep, the namesake of Rockwell pass & the Rockwell variation going up to R-C col. He mentioned back in those days, the 'tough guys' would get to the basin over R-C col to fish **for the day**.

Also, before the Mountaineers route became popular, and when the main Whitney trail was still unreliable, they would go the long way around to Whitney from Wallace by also going over C-R col. Yipes.

Anyway, he provided some good insight and turned me on to a few tips - hence the private exchange. I believe Jim is planning on hitting a both un-named/un-numbered lake that he mentioned held trophy GT. Well, at least almost 60 years ago.

Still, no one really goes that way, and he said he had to traverse some class 3-4 stuff to get back to his troop - he was one of the leaders, and had gone off solo during a down day - so who knows?

All I know is it's almost another 1,000' feet; depending on time/energy, I think I'll be on my way to lower WLB. (And no, it's not V lake that Ozark Flip mentioned.)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I'll be letting one permit go for Cottonwood Lks th for entry on the 20th. I'll be letting it go about noon on the 19th.

Hopefully, some are already out there and some have yet to chime in. If not, there will be plenty of camp spots, I guess.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I'm in! Have a permit for a Shepherd Pass entry on Tuesday, 7/22 and plan to start at dawn.

I should catch up to the group at Wallace Lake either on the afternoon of 7/23, or else on 7/24 if I decide to explore upper Wrights basin a lot first.

Hiking out Shepherd (or perhaps one of the x-country passes - George Creek? Vacation Pass?) on Tuesday, 7/29.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is coming in Shepherd on 7/22 or hiking out via one of the aforementioned passes on 7/29.

Also might be interested in carpooling from the Bay Area should our itineraries coincide.

Have not yet put together an itinerary but am generally open, and so far am interested in upper Wrights basin, Williamson Bowl, Tulainyo Lake, the upper Kern basin including maybe a climb of Milestone. More into lakes than peaks, but would enjoy joining up with whomever to tackle one of the easier/funner peaks up to easy Class 3 (I heard Milestone is "fun" like that), and x-country passes also up to easy Class 3. If I had all the time in the world I'd spend several days in the upper Kern but I think time for that will be limited. Also, I hear Tyndall is a Class 2+ from Shepherd Pass area so might be interested in that. Also love photography. Not going to be fishing.

- Elizabeth
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm going to bag Tyndall from Wright basin on the 25th.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Elizabeth wrote:
I'm in! Have a permit for a Shepherd Pass entry on Tuesday, 7/22 and plan to start
at dawn.
Are you planning to go up Monday, otherwise how are planning to get a start at dawn
when the permit office opens at 8 am?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm in. I'm planning to enter via Cottonwood Lakes or Horseshoe on Monday July 21, climb Langley, and meetup at Wallace on the 24th. I don't have a permit yet, so I'm hoping to pickup one of the permits saved for the walk-in quota. My fingers are crossed -- I'm just one person, and it will be a Monday, so I hope it will work.

I'm planning to exit on Friday the 25th, via Tulainyo Lake and over Russell-Carillon Col. If anyone wants to join me for this route, PM me, or let's chat at Wallace on the 24th.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

If anyone is interested in a car shuttle from horseshoe, or is willing to give me a ride back to horseshoe, please let me know asap.
Last edited by schmalz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

maverick wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
I'm in! Have a permit for a Shepherd Pass entry on Tuesday, 7/22 and plan to start
at dawn.
Are you planning to go up Monday, otherwise how are planning to get a start at dawn
when the permit office opens at 8 am?
Yes, I am driving up from the Bay Area on Monday.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

schmalz wrote:If anyone is interested in a car shuttle from horseshoe, or is willing to give me a ride back to horseshoe, please let me know asap.
Schmalz, you have a pm.