Joe Devel Peak / Miter Basin Advice

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Joe Devel Peak / Miter Basin Advice

Post by Rockyroad »

Hi,
I'm spending a few days exploring the Miter Basin next month. On one of the days, I plan on heading up to Mt Pickering from Sky Blue Lake, then traversing to Joe Devel Peak. I'm still undecided whether to retrace my steps back or descend from the plateau SE of Mt Pickering, near Erin Lake. My question is how do the 2 paths compare in terms of difficulty (finding the correct route and descending safely). I will have the Pickering route as reference. I have level 3 backpacking experience and I would say comfortable with class 2 terrain, maybe a little more - just not as much experience.
Thanks.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Joe Devel Peak / Miter Basin Advice

Post by John Dittli »

FWIW, I have ascended Pickering from the lakes west of Sky Blue and descended to Primrose Lake albeit over snow. I seem to remember them being similar though the latter was more involved (we stayed SE near the "plateau" before descending northward).

If your going to Joe Devel you might consider descending the broad south slope and then traversing the bench at ~11,000' back into Miter Basin. I've done this a couple of times (again on skis) and it is very straight forward.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for the suggestion. I might still try descending from the plateau that is just north of Erin Lake back to Miter Basin, especially if it gives me a chance to explore Erin. If it looks too difficult, I'll just go back down the slope that I used to get to Mt Pickering towards the lakes west of Sky Blue.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Rockyroad,
Well, if all goes well, my wife and I aim to hit Erin on the way to the HST meet-up next week, so if we get there (Primrose is our backup), I'll aim to grab a couple photos. Either way, it sounds like your plan B is a winner.
cg
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Hi cg,

That would be awesome and much appreciated! (If your plans change, don't worry about it.)

BTW, I tried to time my trip so that I might run into members passing through Miter on their way to the meetup but had some scheduling problems. Will try for next time.

Thanks again
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

It's easy to drop down toward or go up from Erin Lake's outlet from/t the Plateau southeast of Pickering. Either sandy Class 2 or Class 2/3 slabs depending on where you drop down. Easy to keep it Class 2 though. Here's a map giving you an idea:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... /i-cnTXXwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The up route was sandier - no more than Class 2. The down route was a little slabbier.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for sharing your map. Great photos by the way.