Locator Beacon: PLB or SPOT?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Buford
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Locator Beacon: PLB or SPOT?

Post by Buford »

Another option not mentioned yet is the InReach SE. It has advantages and disadvantages like everything else.

Advantages include 2 way text messaging/email with anyone, tracking, SOS, and it runs on a supposedly more reliable satellite network than the spot devices. It can connect using blue tooth with a smartphone to make messaging easier and for GPS purposes. It lets you know if your last message or tracking point was sent successfully, no hitting the button like on a spot and wondering. If you hit the SOS button you can communicate and let the responders know what the emergency is.

Disadvantages as I see it is that it is still not a PLB, monthly subscription fee, and battery. I think the InReach SOS signal is weaker than a PLB when activated.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

I just saw a plb at west marine. I Believe it was the rescue Link+. At about $270 - $50 rebate seems within reach. Still don't know eNough to pick the coRrect model. But ACR seems to be the best.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Another option is Fastfind
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I ended up getting the DeLorme InReach SE. There was a good discussion over at the WZ, with a few SAR guys adding their comments & observations.

The two factors that made me decide in its favor were both the two-way communication feature - which means you can confirm a message was sent, and/or someone else can initiate/confirm contact with you, and tracking ie bread crumbs.

Actually, as some have noted, while a PLB has to be activated, tracking is automatic (assuming you turn it on at the beginning of your hike). Considering some of the incidents that have occurred over the last few years, tracking would have helped narrow searches and perhaps saved lives.

I know in my solo outings that the most likely scenario would be a slip/fall that would render me unable to initiate action. My wife would be able to see that I wasn't moving (or responding to her inquiries), and would then be able to provide GPS information to where the last transmission was made. That sold it for her - and me.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You can confirm a message was sent but not that it was received. after waiting five tense hours for a followup text telling me "we found him" that was sent within 15 minutes of the previous "we can't find him" - I will never bother with two way devices. Won't put people I care about through that. I have a PLB and leave an itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttt
Topix Newbie

SPOT personal tracker

Post by ttt »

How many of you folks carry a personal tracking device, like SPOT, while backpacking? Which ones are the most reliable? Any comments appreciated. ttt
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Re: SPOT personal tracker

Post by Thebrenner »

Hi
I have the SPOT2 and carry it always when backpacking. I send a check in ok location every evening so the folks at home can follow along. It has always been reliable. I like this model because I can set 3 messages before I leave home.
Msg1: I'm ok having great time ( this message goes to everyone on my list)
Msg2: I'm not hurt but I think I'm lost. I need help. ( this message goes to two people who have specific instructions on what to do if they get this message)
Msg 3: I'm running behind schedule if you don't hear from me in 2 days via phone call s&r. ( this message goes to one specific person who has detailed information about what to do if she gets this message)
I backpack solo frequently and I've found that this system works well. But if anyone has more suggestions I'm open to hearing them.

The newer generation 3 spot is set up to track your location every few minutes ( I think....but check me on this) and is an ounce lighter.

I always fill out a RE-CONN form and leave copies with friends as well as one copy on my dashboard at the trailhead. I always call or text as soon as I have phone service.

Happy trails!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

ttt

use the search function. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on the outdoor gear forum.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

...and welcome to HST :)
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

My experience with Delorme Inreach is about the same as brenners. Same tracking, same preset messages, but you can send a specific text to up to 5 people or facebook. They also sync to smart phones if you want to send pics or personal messages. I usually just send preset messages each night to my wife and family members of backing buddies but always remind them no news is good news. Ive never had a message not go through. It cost about $30 a month and weighs about a pound. My friends and I are all 50+. Call me over cautious, but if some one in my group died from some thing like a compound fracture or another ilness or injury that could be easily treated if evacuated, I would never be able to live with that.My .02cent, Phil