Missing Mt. Hood Climbers

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Strider
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Missing Mt. Hood Climbers

Post by Strider »

Not being a technical climber, I was wondering how HSTers would check in on this: A legitimate challenge or recklessness being up there in this weather?
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

My comment is it would depend on the experience of the group.

It appears that they have the background to be on Mt. Hood this time of year, although I did see one article that could put some question marks after that.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Pushing the envelope. I had a Comm. College Backpacking and Survival instructor answer a students question about what he would do in a storm. He said he wouldn't be in it. Meaning, if he knew a storm was coming in he would not go. The student kept saying, yes but what would you do. Same answer. Last year a group of 8 of us from another forum went out snow camping in Dec. expecting some snow and received 2' overnight and very high winds. We felt we were properly equipped and knowledgeable (sp?)enough to survive. We did fine but had some issues with some shelters but made good decisions. It all adds to your experience so you are better prepared next time. All within reason.
Piece of cake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Re: Missing Mt. Hood Climbers

Post by Shawn »

Strider wrote:Not being a technical climber, I was wondering how HSTers would check in on this: A legitimate challenge or recklessness being up there in this weather?
I doubt we'll have the right information to form a conclusion until they are off the mountain. In the mean time, it seems they took a risk with the weather and something happened that prevented them from getting out of there before all hell broke loose.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ub ... /0/fpart/1

PS. Hey Strider, I'm in PR too (behind Arciero) - how long have you been in town?
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Very interesting link, Shawn; thanks for posting it. What I found interesting in reading many of the posts is that I don't remember one that seemed to be critical of the climbers. In fact, a number of them came up with suggestions about where the climbers might be, a few seemed to be part of the Mt. Hood SAR, and quite a few have volunteered to help in the search.

I agree with hikerduane that being in inclimate conditions prepares you to deal with these types of situations, particularly when your life may be on the line. That being said, I have my own views on heading out with minimal equipment in the face of an oncoming storm, and putting not only yourself at risk but SAR personnel as well. But I'm not a climber. Based on the posts on the Cascade climbing forum, it is my impression that the people who climb in this area, and that includes the SAR personnel, seem to understand the risks and are probably not averse to going out in similar situations. In that case, I think it is up to their community to decide if this was reckless or just the nature of climbing on Mt. Hood and an accepted part of the experience.
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Very sad to hear that one body was found. I am not aclimber, but I read a lot about Mount Hood and how treacherous it can get. Hope is fading for the other two climbers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237101,00.html
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I have followed the news over on TT and watched the topic go off a little. I think from reading info there that the climbers may not have had enough food, it wasn't that cold if you got into a snow cave. Haven't heard yet how the one guy died. The others lost over a cliff?
Piece of cake.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Jerry Cooke's photo page from Summit Post.

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=21223