Upper Parker Creek cross country? "Parker Pass shortcut"

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Upper Parker Creek cross country? "Parker Pass shortcut"

Post by giantbrookie »

For the off trail enthusiasts out there: Has anyone had experience with or heard anything about the degree of difficulty of off trail travel in upper Parker Creek, upstream of Parker Lake, to the Parker Pass trail? There appears to be a cliff band between 9600 and 10000' and the question is whether this is broken by any class 2 routes--I realize that this may be cruddy rock, too, given that I recall this is metamorphic stuff. Other than this band, the topo indicates class 2 elsewhere.

This is not a first choice alternative, but I'm considering this as a "emergency audible" option for an upcoming trip at the end of this month, if I get quota'd out at Rush Creek (have to walk up for this one; reserve quota already met for my entry date). I have a much easier "emergency audible" in Walker Lake, but I like to have multiple options that I can check down to and Parker Creek gives me a bit more operational flexibility in terms of my main objectives than does Walker Lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigd
Topix Acquainted

Re: Upper Parker Creek cross country? "Parker Pass shortcut"

Post by bigd »

GiantBrookie,

While I've never traveled above the waterfall, I have been to the valley below it, and it seems you can go left (south) or right (north) of the waterfall. I personally would go right (north).

However, for a first hand account see: http://www.summitpost.org/parker-loop/887879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This hiker went left (south).

BigD
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

bigd wrote:GiantBrookie,

While I've never traveled above the waterfall, I have been to the valley below it, and it seems you can go left (south) or right (north) of the waterfall. I personally would go right (north).

However, for a first hand account see: http://www.summitpost.org/parker-loop/887879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This hiker went left (south).

BigD
Thanks BigD for the insight as well as the link to that interesting summitpost account. It looks as if the canyon can be done class 2, but it looks to be a mighty unpleasant task with a full pack on. I may have been more willing to deal with that sort of thing 30 years ago. I'm still banking on my no. 1 option (Rush Creek walk up permit) but I think Bloody Canyon/Walker Lake will be the decided 2nd choice (extremely athletic with longer distances covered but gentler off trail stuff), and I think my 3rd choice will be to a completely different objective. GB
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

GiantBrookie,

Not sure where you're headed, but don't forget about Dana Meadows. This is much easier than Bloody Canyon if you're going to Parker Pass.

BigD
iamchappy
Topix Novice

Post by iamchappy »

giantbrookie - I have been up there a few times to snowboard Blacktop and Koip. It was a little dicey at the waterfall zone, but that was in much different conditions. It is my understanding that there is a trail on the north side of the drainage at the toe of Mt. Lewis that people use in the summer. I was fishing Parker a month or so ago and saw a sign marking the trail to Koip Pass in the NW corner of the lake. Good luck and have fun!
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

bigd wrote:GiantBrookie,
Not sure where you're headed, but don't forget about Dana Meadows. This is much easier than Bloody Canyon if you're going to Parker Pass.
BigD
Actually the target (trailless northern headwaters of the Rush Creek drainage) is pretty far away from Parker Pass, but the suggestion about Dana Meadows was given to me by someone else on this board and it is not only a good suggestion but it is a more interesting route to my destination than the original "Plan A" out of Rush Creek (ie Silver Lake) because of the fascinating off trail route that begins once I leave the trail at approximately Spillway Lake. If all works out, that will be one of my better "day 1's". Dana Mdws to target becomes Plan A. Rush Creek is now Plan B.

iamchappy: thanks for the additional info on Parker Creek, especially that about the trail on the north side of the drainage versus the summitpost report. In fact, BigD had noted that north side looked better than the southern route taken by the guy who did the summitpost report. This is helpful for future trip planning where I might want to link a takeoff or finish for a longer trip out of Parker.