Brace for Impact

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Brace for Impact

Post by maverick »

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what the combined impact of a best selling
book and new movie release might be?
None, zip, nada. As other have mentioned in previous posts, technology has ensured
that the newer generation will not increase visitation into the backcountry, may even
decrease it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what the combined impact of a best selling
book and new movie release might be?

Never say never. I have a few "pups" here in TX that would like to try; distance to get there and college are hurdles for them. But I do believe there w/b an unmeasurable count of lasting impact b/c of the movie. The basis of the movie I see is her drama; breakup, not the backpacking thing. It's just a way for her to try to deal with her crisis. It's Hollywood. Got to make it interesting somehow for the masses to be a success. Let's see how long it grosses #1? :eek:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Austex wrote:
Never say never. I have a few "pups" here in TX that would like to try; distance to get
there and college are hurdles for them.
Distance, college, and then comes job, marriage, and family. Life is full of hurdles
for many, especially for those trying to get into the work force now.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The story isn't even about backpacking. If they spend as much time in flashbacks as they do in the book, you'll not even see much beyond shots of her suffering in random places.

Since she skips over the good part (the Sierra) due to high snow and not wanting to deal with it (because she is not a backpacker and the movie isn't about backpacking at all) - NO interest for me whatsoever. The only reason I read the book was because a friend/backpacker recommended it - he later confessed that he skipped the endless navel gazing parts and then the book was really, really brief for him, because all he was interested in was the backpacking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AT wrote:

The story isn't even about backpacking.
So backpacking isn't even glamorized, forget it, back to the
original: none, zip, and nada! :cool:

sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

When I read the book, I was impressed with all the suffering she endured while on the trail. It matched the suffering she wallowed in over the loss of her mother. If the movie is true to the book, not many people are going to be drawn to the trail because of it. She wasn't having very much fun during that phase of her life.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Another nice thing about the PCT is that it has a 700 mile stretch of desert to weed people out.

I think the documentary "Mile, Mile and a Half" will probably draw more people to the Sierra. It's on Netflix streaming now which is giving the JMT a lot of exposure.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

schmalz wrote:I think the documentary "Mile, Mile and a Half" will probably draw more people to the Sierra. It's on Netflix streaming now which is giving the JMT a lot of exposure.
My wife read the book - I had never even heard of it until she mentioned it. My initial reaction was one of interest, as in "she hiked the PCT?" No, my wife replied, she only section hiked parts, and skipped the Sierra. Well, you can imagine my reaction: complete dismissal, and not another thought.

However, I've been following the blogs of two PCTers who are making great time (http://carrotquinn.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://stevenjshattuck.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and they've mentioned the book & movie a few times, but it took me awhile to connect that what they were describing and the book my wife read were the same thing. Apparently, there's been some drama on the PCT this year due to the volume of hikers, and people are wondering if the book/movie impact will destroy the trail angel experience so many cherish.

As for Mile ..., we watched the movie last week. I had high expectations, because I wanted my wife to see parts of the Sierra she hasn't visited. Boy, was I disappointed - not in the filming/scenery, but the goofballs who shot the footage. Complete noobs with no knowledge of what they were getting themselves into, the kind of people who have limited respect for what it really takes.

Of course, they had ridiculous overweight gear (granted, they had to carry heavy cameras), and epitomized the kind of people you see red faced, huffing & puffing and wondering what the heck they're doing out there. Seriously, a couple looked like heart attack candidates.

Enough with the rant. But it would be nice to be able to show what it's really like, and demonstrate the preparation, training and energy required to put oneself into the kind of experiences we seek.

Edit: Rant not over. If you watch the film, you'll notice they have a campfire every night. Now, that means they're either camping below 10-10.4k, or they're ignoring the restrictions. Either case is poor, because if they are below 10k, that means they're not sleeping close enough to the passes in order to make them over first thing. I can go on, but the overall effect (to me) was a bunch of clowns bumbling down the trail.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

If you want a good movie on the PCT, watch Tell It On the Mountain. There is stunning footage of the Sierra and the stories of the individual hikers are compelling. And it captures the agony and the ecstasy of backpacking. My wife, son, and I loved it.

http://tellitonthemountain.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I tend to agree with Almostthere and Troutdog, but the thought of neurotics heading to the Sierra to find a "cure" is disturbing and I suspect will occur. I much prefer to think that the vast majority of backpackers are squared away people, confident of their "selves" and who they are and look at the backcountry as a place they enjoy and that adds to their life. The people this movie will attract are not of the same stuff.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!