How much food can you pack?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Great story, Markskor, but I'm glad I wasn't there! ;)

On the 2004 JMT trek my son and I each took one expedition-size Bearikade (rented -- couldn't justify the cost of buying the damn things out here in Maryland!), and we were absolutely astounded at how much more food we had than space. I think we slept with food for at least three days out of Tuolumne and another three out of Muir Trail Ranch, even though we chucked what seemed like cubic yards of our cache into the "backpackers box" at the Ranch. Next time ... I dunno. The Enertia foods (http://www.trailfoods.com) look like they take a lot less space than other freeze-dried stuff, so I may try that (they taste great, and I like to eat *well* on the trail). I think I'd tend to take more snacks and fewer dinner-enhancers (like desserts or veggies). We were pretty low on lunch material during the last week or so...
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

BSquared,
Repackage your freeze dried dinners. Put the food in Freezer Baggies and dump the cardboard, dessicant and outer foil. All you need is one outer foil bag for however many dinners you have. They pack a lot better in Freezer baggies. Add water to the baggie/dried food, mix and put it in the foil bag to cook. Also bring 1-2 extra baggies in case one gets punctured. Its only happened twice to me.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

With the regs about using a canister now, it would be hard to stay out too long without a backup plan. Go to two canisters I guess. I can only get a six day supply of food into my Garcia Machine. I need to do the repackaging thing I guess.

My neighbor got by on some sort of pasta, olive oil and dried tomatoes for dinner. He shared a meal at least once and the guy couldn't believe how good it tasted. Of course he had been eating freeze dried stuff. I supplement at least one meal when out for a week with fish. Usually the night I eat ramen.

When I was younger and only weighted about 140 lbs., I used to carry 50 lbs. It took years to get rid of some of that stuff and gain the experience. The internet the last few years has been a real eye opener for me on what gear is available since I live in a small community.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ndwoods »

9 days routinely. Could carry more days I think pretty easily. 9 day backpack is only 32 lbs with food and water so I couple more days food would be ok.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierra cyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierra cyd »

9 days, with or without the canister (Bearikade Expedition). I probably could carry more if I didn't mind eating less quantity and variety, but 9 days is the usual amount with my usual diet (I like FOOD!). It starts to get pretty heavy and bulky after that. I definitely repackage everything into ziplocs, too, and I do have a little food left at the end, too. My pack is usually about 45 pounds with canister and 9 days of food, and 1 qt water, and my husband carries about 10 more pounds to start. I guess we should try to lighten up a bit! Ahhh, but the comforts.....but that's another topic.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Actually that's pretty impressive. No, it's very impressive, with food and all. How about posting a gear list?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I used to do 8 day trips when I was younger, small pack, "everything I owned" look, no canister, but 5 lb., synthetic sb and carried around 50 lbs. Even with the light gear that I have now, all I could get it down to with a canister was around 37 lbs. for a six day trip. I am going with a lighter stove from now on and refined clothing list if I can. That doesn't lose much. You just have to eat. I use cheese, jerky, freeze dried dinners, but too many cereal/energy bar breakfasts.

I should add, my neighbor would stay out most of the summer bping.
yosemitechris
Founding Member

Post by yosemitechris »

On our 2002 JMT hike, the most my Garcia canister carried at a stretch was 9 days of food. My son carried a canister as well. We ate mostly corn pasta, carried in bulk, for dinner with dehydrated veggies of all sorts and a little olive oil and fresh garlic, of course. We ate the good (heavy) stuff like salami and cheese first and ended up carrying out the soynuts. I repackaged almost everything except Clif Bars, which I think are heavy and not very tasty. I bagged a variety of small bags of salty snacks and sweets snacks, one for each day. And dried soy milk (less bulky than regular) for morning cereal.

My pack was only about 35# (I carried the dehydrated food) and Will's was about 60#. But then, he carries a library of books along With him to read!
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Over the years I have discovered that camping, fishing, and hiking above 10,000ft actually diminishes my appitite and nature's calling, but not the taste buds. Planning a trip when the appitite is geared to homelife caused me to bring way too much food. So now that I have wised up to this fact, I leave half the orginal menu at the trailhead. My current favorite is Knorrs tomatoe soup, CousCous, a dash af dried ground beef and jalapeno, a breadstick, and a chocolate covered ricecrispy bar for dessert. A stick of pepperoni from the Italian Market, a daily handful of nuts , and Kashi cereal round off the menu for lunch and breakfast. I am better off with small quanities of low processed, high caloric whole foods than large quanities of highly processed lightweight food. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper deliver that home cooking touch in the wilderness. I still can't give up the fresh coffee, but now I leave the wine at home when I go solo. I have read about trekkers who backpack the sierra for the beauty and the opportunity to practice the art of preparing a tasty ultralight meal. I would gladly porter, catch fish, and do the dishes for such heavenly souls!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The longest was 15 days times 4 people with no resupply. That was a long time ago (B.C. -- Before Canisters). I do not recall how much my pack weighed, but I was twenty years old and handled it easily.

I am a wimp now. I take shorter trips and eat real food.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=