another help for a family backpacking trip plz!

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

another help for a family backpacking trip plz!

Post by hjldennis »

Last year we did Little Lakes Valley with our 7 & 9 yr olds based on inputs from this forum and had fantastic time. We camped at Chickenfoot lake for 2 nights with day trips. Great fishing and stunning views right off the bat!

This year we're looking for another great trip. I am considering Mineral Kings since I heard so much good things about it, but we are still wide open. Looking for a great route with about 20 miles or so over 2-3 nights. Something not too challenging for kids. Fishing is a plus.

I know this is an impossible question for many but what would be the top recommendation?

Thanks guys!

Dennis
wandering outdoors and the universe
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: another help for a family backpacking trip plz!

Post by AlmostThere »

Mineral King is challenging for most adults I know - you get on any trail and you are going UP, sometimes 3,000-4,000 feet of gain to the lake of choice.

I would take kids to Kaiser Wilderness, Dinkey Wilderness, Jennie Lake Wilderness, Camp Nelson/Golden Trout - something short and not steep.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Ok. So we should wait on Mineral King for a while...That leaves us wide open.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Dennis,

Yes, Mineral King is way to much for that age, even some trails are to much for
many hikers.
To AT's list I would add 20 Lakes Basin just east of Tioga Pass. You can take the
ferry across Saddlebag Lake which will be fun for the kids. There a numerous lakes
with fish, and the scenery is sub-lime. The terrain is only a little more difficult that
LLV depending on where you go. Conness Lakes is beautiful, you and the kids
will love them.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Thanks AT and Maverick!

I think I am going to narrow down the choices to either 20 lakes or out of Sabrina. Sabrina looks to be tougher, and my wife wants to push a little more this time. Other than more climb what would be other differences?

AT gave us too many options LOL. Actually Dinkey or Jenny lakes are places I've been reading up on and wanting to go. So many places go....
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a non-refundable airline tickets to Glacier International Airport on an impulse =) so we went on a 6 days (4 in the backcountry) backpacking journey to Glacier NP instead. Glacier was breathtaking. we'll try to squeeze in 20 lakes over the Labor Day weekend.

Short trip report in "Beyond the Sierra" section...