Natl Geo Topos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
skywalker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Natl Geo Topos

Post by skywalker »

Newbie here....is the Calif state topo the correct version for creating High Sierra maps? What are the most important functions when looking to purchase a GPS? Thanx for any replies in advance.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

it depends what your needs are - most will cover basic functions: marking waypoints, tracklogs, and go-to functions.

I would look at garmins e-trx series. also the forerunner is a wristband type with many of same functions. If you go to fancier model they have more features including the ability to add notes and go-to alarms.

make sure you are comfortable with the size if the numbers/letters - the biggest complaint of the e-trex series is trying to read the small numbers of the waypoints utm's - especially for us middle age folks who no longer have the eyes of a hawk.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
krudler
Founding Member

Re: Natl Geo Topos

Post by krudler »

skywalker wrote:Newbie here....is the Calif state topo the correct version for creating High Sierra maps?
Yes.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Re: Natl Geo Topos

Post by Ranboze »

skywalker wrote:What are the most important functions when looking to purchase a GPS?
Like tomcat said, it really depends on your application. In addition to what Tom said, some features that may be important to consider:

1) Weight. I really like the garmin 60Csx, but I doubt I'd backpack with it because Im a weight weinee.

2) Battery life. 'nuff said.

3) Feel of it in your hand and what you have to do to navigate through pages/screens. I like the etrex's because they can be operated with one hand. (yes I do enter waypoints and use "go to" functions while driving :eek: )

4) Altimeter - most aren't that great, but some may be better than others

5) Presence of an electronic compass (I like this feature)

6) Ability to upload maps into it. Many models on the lower end of the spectrum do not support mapping software, eg garmin's etrex gecko and summit.

7) Compatibility with mapping and other geologic software to which you might want to interface your GPSr. eg, using National Geographic Topo, I frequently add waypoints on my map (on PC) to mark trail or dirt road intersections. Then, I upload these waypoints from the software program to the GPSr. That way, I don't have to punch in the waypoints. If you stick with a big brand GPSr, this shouldn't be a problem.

8) Use of the GPSr as a communications device - famlies and people traveling in groups often like the Rino - it is also an FRS radio and you can see where your partner is by looking on your screen. I also believe that the Rino allows beaming of WPs between the 2 devices. I can't wait for this feature to become universal to all handhelds.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ditto on the beaming of waypoints - I am holding out on updating my gps hopin gthis is just a year or two away.

I uplaod trilhead and road intersections from my mapping program(terrain navigator) into my Gps - saves a lot of time when driving around trying to find right dirt road to turn on. especially if you are arriving at trailheads after dark.

I like the terrain navigator mapping software. it has a nice feature which allows you to view map in 3d including track lines. lets you plot a track and then look at what it really might look like as you climb valleys and ridges.

as a side note i will be at Death Valley on Sunday doing some pre-scouting for the topix trip next weekend. I will have some pictures and waypoints for any in group who are not familiar with the area or roads. will post more after weekend is out.

tomorrow is snow crown up in the sierras - want to get this one while the trail is still accessable - have fun everyone.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Natl Geo Topo! software

Post by StumbleBum »

skywalker - you're asking about the Natl Geo Topo! software right? The state series is what I use - they also have Natl. Park specific editions, but that's too limited for my use.

I do all my trip planning with Topo! - have for years. I love it. I know there are other topographic mapping software packages out there, and for all I know they may be better than Topo!, but I am familiar with it and it does what I want.
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

One quick correction to Tomcat's first post. The ForeTREX not Forerunner is the wrist mounted hiking equivalent of the eTrex series. I have one and love it, it is simple, works great in open area(little problem in trees), and since it's on my wrist I use it quite a bit. Happy shopping.
Oh and the NG State software is great stuff.
Eric
wingding

Post by wingding »

I really like my foretrex too - I don't need anything fancier or bigger.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Anybody know what sort of battery life to expect from the ForeTrex with a set of lithiums in it?