2014 Wildflower Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2014 Wildflower Updates

Post by maverick »

This thread is for members to report any impressive wildflower sightings while
in the Sierra. The next couple of weeks will bring in this years very short wildflowers
season, especially short because of the drought.

Please describe the location as accurately as possible, and include dates, and the
conditions of the wildflowers, not peaking (1-2 week away), peaking, or past peak.

Also include the types of flowers, or at least the colors of the flowers, and whether
it was a whole garden mixture of lupines, tiger lilies, and Indian Paintbrush's or a
carpet of Shooting Stars.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2014 Wildflower Updates

Post by RiseToADry »

Humphrey's basin from 6/22-6/26. High elevation windflowers are about 2-3 weeks from peaking.there were a ton of pink and yellow flowers which I will post in the coming days. Lower elevation should be peaking in the next 1-2 weeks! A lot of flowers around north lake bloomed between the time I left and returned.

Sorry for the lack of names, but wanted to help in anyway! Will add pics shortly.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

Here are the pics as promised... I have no idea what any of these are called, but they were all found at high elevations 11k+.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice, thanks for taking the time to post the photos RiseToADry. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

RTD. Species are bog laurel, Davidson's penstemon, and western wallflower.

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/get_ ... +polifolia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_q ... 5231&one=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/get_ ... +capitatum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saturday July 5, 2014 late afternoon was driving back on SR120 west through Yosemite and came to an area I've regularly visited in the past which is noted as a small pocket meadow in my copy of this guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Wildflowers-Yosem ... ildflowers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My copy is much older than the recent version. Anyway between Gin Flat and the itty bitty droughty South Fork of the Tuolumne River crossing currently has some great stuff for closeup flower photographers. This is heavy forest. A few years ago they did control burns all along the highway then last year with the Rim Fire threatening did some more serious backburning north from the highway. What that did to the considerable wildflowers in the area is impressive. Lupine in some areas are now over head high. The noted meadow is small and on the south side of the road. But what I found on the north side was an absolute jungle of species obviously sprouting from dormant seeds. Lots of tall lush growths even though it is all rather dry now and the soil is that orange burned sooty forest soil.

Also another tip. About a third of a mile east of Gin Flat on the north side of the road are some rare Washington lily's. Given all the black sooty background their white stands out. These are the Sierra's largest lily's white about 4 inches deep and wide. When just out of the bud they have a heavenly fragrance and a reason as cultivated flowers are a favorite in church floral displays.

I could write a book chapter about flowers I see on each road trip but prefer to let the audience explore and make some effort as a reward for personal effort.

David
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Piute pass area over the holiday weekend was quite impressive. I didn't take a camera unfortunately. Specific location: All over the place, at least from 9K to 11.5K.

How many different shades/varieties of paintbrush are there? We saw orange, red, crimson, pink, green, violet and I swear I saw one that was blue too. Monks hood, alpine lupine, shooting star of two or three shades, tiger lily, iris, columbine, and so many more that I can't identify. They were the highlight of the trip.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I was quite surprised with the gorgeous flower gardens that my daughter Rachael and I were treated to on a 7/8 through 7/10 trip into the tiny Kaiser Wilderness. Immediately from the Sample Meadows side we encountered numerous little pocket gardens of shooting stars, scarlet and yellow columbine, Tiger (Leopard??) lily's, lupine, various paintbrush and penstemon, and so many more!!!!! The little gardens continued all they way up to our camp near Walling Lake. Simply fantastic, but it wont last long as its dry, dry, dry.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

longri wrote:Piute pass area over the holiday weekend was quite impressive. I didn't take a camera unfortunately. Specific location: All over the place, at least from 9K to 11.5K.

How many different shades/varieties of paintbrush are there? We saw orange, red, crimson, pink, green, violet and I swear I saw one that was blue too. Monks hood, alpine lupine, shooting star of two or three shades, tiger lily, iris, columbine, and so many more that I can't identify. They were the highlight of the trip.

Yes, indeed! I was basecamped at North Lake CG 7/9 to 7/13. Flowers are still at peak along the creeks from North Lake to the CG and all along the red Piute Crags up to the first lake heading up Piute Pass. The best trailside displays are near the second log crossing in the lower realm of the trail. There's an impressive variety of beauties in that soil and I found a huge edible mushroom in my campsite...and yeah Humphries Basin still had the stuff mentioned upthread...I preferrerd the western basin approaching Goethe Lake over the Desolation Lake area (I didn't venture elsewhere in H.B.)

Second tip: Just after July 4th wildflowers were passing peak near the TH , but peaking for miles up beyond in a display similar to North Lake area in Horse Creek Canyon from Mono Village TH. Nearing the talus strewn pass area and Matterhorn Peak summit (beyond the main creek) the show is much less of course and of higher elevation variety.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Troutdog 59 wrote:I was quite surprised with the gorgeous flower gardens that my daughter Rachael and I were treated to on a 7/8 through 7/10 trip into the tiny Kaiser Wilderness. Immediately from the Sample Meadows side we encountered numerous little pocket gardens of shooting stars, scarlet and yellow columbine, Tiger (Leopard??) lily's, lupine, various paintbrush and penstemon, and so many more!!!!! The little gardens continued all they way up to our camp near Walling Lake. Simply fantastic, but it wont last long as its dry, dry, dry.
That is one of my favorite quick getaways. I'll have to time it with the wildflowers some year.