False alarm!

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

False alarm!

Post by oldranger »

Monday night as I stepped in the shower I felt a twinge in my left chest. I thought I probably just tweaked my left pectoral muscle as I grabbed the door. But it bothered me all night and given that a little over 2 years ago when I had a 90% blockage of my left anterior descending artery my only symptom was a strange "feeling". I was a little concerned despite the lack of other symptoms associated with angina or a heart attack. Markskor and I were supposed to embark on a a short backpack to a lake that I had been targeting for a couple of years. Being a relatively conservative old fart I finally decided to go into the ER. A long story cut short I checked out ok, and thanks to Medicare and supplemental insurance the visit will probably cost me nothing! Now the ER and my doc in bend were in contact and my doc suggested I take it easy, so of course I ignored
her and took off with Mark and hiked in one day what was originally planned as 2 days in. I figure we lost at most 2 hours of fishing time from what we would have had had we left a day earlier.

So the pain was real but not serious. I felt it a bit as I hiked, but otherwise I felt great. What pain I felt disappeared as soon as I started fishing!

Moral of the story: if you feel bad, go fishing! Not really but seek medical help! And don't' bull ahead until you are sure you are ready for whatever your activity requires.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: False alarm!

Post by giantbrookie »

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear it was a false alarm. So, what did the doctor think it was? A muscle tweak as you had suspected?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

They didn't know as I wasn't tender to the touch. That uncertainty was why my doc didn't want me to do too much. I guess I didn't. :)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Oh man that sounds scary! Glad your ok!!
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Probably gas from what you probably ate when you got back to Mark's place. :D

Glad you had it checked out anyway. This place wouldn't be the same without you.