Rae Lakes Loop Walk-Up Permit This Weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fleacircus
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Fleacircus »

The Situation:
My group of two was unfortunately unable to obtain a reservation for either direction of the loop for this weekend (Thursday-Monday) so we're going to try for a walk-up permit.

The Questions:
"But Fleacircus, you picked the busiest damn weekend of the entire season to try for this permit!" I know. This is the only time my group is available at the same time.

I've seen a lot of conflicting info as to when exactly the Road's End permit office starts giving out walk up permits. Does anyone know, for sure, when this happens? (Assuming I want to walk in Thursday)

From what I've heard, Copper Creek and Lewis Creek are just the worst this time of year so as far as alternatives go does anyone know of another trip in the area (almost anywhere in SEKI) of similar length/time that we could have in mind as a plan B?

Also, if I wanted to drive up from LA the night before in order to get to the office early, where is the closest place to crash for the night? (Parking lot? Camp site? Motel?)

Thanks
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Re: Rae Lakes Loop Walk-Up Permit This Weekend

Post by jmherrell »

At Road's End they start giving out FCFS permits for the FOLLOWING day starting at 1:00. If you walk up on the morning of your trip the quota may already be filled the day before. A nearby alternative might be the trails off of Big Meadow road into Jennie Lakes, Seville Lake/Sheep Camp Lakes etc. I think you can get these permits at the Grant Grove visitor center. Camping at Big Meadow shouldn't be a problem but I don't know about this weekend.

If you want to try for Cedar Grove, the campgrounds are likely to be full (they were one time I tried this). The land between Grant Grove and the main park is part of the Sequoia National Forest, they have different camping rules. There is a small campground about a mile before you get to Boyden Cave called Convict Flat -- will probably be full also. The time I did this I stayed at Convict Flat before it was a developed campground. Also there were many RVs at every turnout -- the Forest Service apparently allows this.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HI Fleacircus,

Welcome to HST! Please read: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wilderness Permit: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/w ... ermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Fleacircus
Topix Newbie

Post by Fleacircus »

Excellent! That's exactly what I needed to know. I've mapped out a pretty solid loop through Jennie Lakes over JO Pass and around as a back-up. Plenty of permit availability and I'm pretty sure I can park at Big Meadows. I'll try to remember to post a report when I return. Thanks for your help.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

A good alternative is going up over Granite Pass to the Middle Fork of the Kings River then down the JMT over Mather and looping back in to Roads End. The trailhead (Copper Creek) is less popular (so permits are easier to get) because the 5,700 foot climb is a turnoff for most people. The Middle Fork is amazing and definitely worth it, though! Awesome swimming holes and a huge canyon all to yourself. Hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Immelman
Topix Novice

Post by Immelman »

My first solo backpack trip was the Rae Lakes loop over 4th of July, going on 10 yrs ago. I showed up around noon and got a walk-up permit starting that day just fine, albeit in the opposite direction than I wanted (counter clockwise.. which I enjoyed!)