Tent Questions

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent Questions

Post by markskor »

Thoughts:
Since the tent (possibly still wet from previous night's "dew") is the last big thing packed, also goes in a side pocket outside the main pack compartment.

Tent poles as well as my fishing rod, straps on the other side of my backpack - asymetrical carry.
BTW, could not find a tent pole stuffsack anywhere (long and thin) to carry just the poles and stakes so had one made.

When at camp and setting up my tent...Plastic groundcloth (which is the very last thing packed as can still be muddy) comes out first. BTW, it lives folded up, just atop my sleeping bag - in my SB comparttment, where there is always just enough room, even when my pack is already full and closed up tight.
Then my TT Rainbow comes out from the side pocket...lives alone in its own (origional but) now slightly shortened stuffsack. Tent comes out and the stuffsacks, one from poles and the small one from the stakes goes immediately into the tent stuffsack and first thing stashed into the now set-up tent...(Just a personal quirk but prevents loss/ haviing to look around later.)

Sleeping bag only gets unfolded inside tent...never comes out of the tent when not in its stuffsack unless needs to be dried out.

When dayhiking/ leaving a wilderness camp for the day (usually out fishing), I too leave my tent set-up - (LYV maybe not) - vestibule zipped up too (the ol out of sight, out of mind theory) but, leave the very bottom tent zipper slightly open - prevents marmots and squirrels from possibly gnawing an entrance hole (again - long story), though never have had anything disturbed by any two legged varmit.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If I am doing a long day's hike I will take the sleeping pad and enough clothing to survive a night out. All the warm clothing will not do much good if you have to sit on cold ground. For short hikes away from camp or fishing near camp, I only take a rain jacket. Even if within sight of your tent you can get very wet if caught in a downpour. Plus my jacket has tons of big pockets to carry a snack, fishing stuff, and essentials.

Everything goes inside my pack except fishing pole, wading shoes, and water bottle. I do cross country travel and do not want to lose or ruin my gear. I would put the fishing pole inside if it fit. I have a waterproof tent sack so if it is wet it will not get other stuff wet. Plus my sleeping bag and clothing bag go inside a garbage compactor plastic bag so the tent does not even touch them. I have an inflatable sleeping pad that I put inside the sleeping bag stuff sack. If you plan on doing bushwhacking, buy a large enough pack to hold everything.

If going on a long day's hike I will stuff my sleeping bag instead of leaving it loose in the tent. Animals are a bigger problem than people as far as having your stuff messed with. Marmots will chew anything that has sweat (salt) on it. Because they are so attracted to salt (including urine) I will not pee near my tent. I hang my trekking poles in a tree at night. Pack, shoes and everything else go inside the tent. Of course, food or bear canister and pots and pans stay outside. I put a fair sized rock on my pot lid, and put spoon and cup inside.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Thank you for all the opinions!

Went home last night and packed the tent in the sack without the poles, and put them in
the pack vertically along the side and counter balanced them so it feels even now
and I got it all to fit in nicely.
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by J ney »

Great!!! Have fun!
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by Brien »

I don't carry my tent in a stuff sack. I fold my tent flat and put it in my pack. I then pack over it. The poles fit inside to one side.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

I pack my tent in the closet. :nod: That way my pack is 3 to 7 lbs lighter. Actually it is lighter than that because a tent often requires a larger pack due to the weight and volume of the tent. With no tent and a lighter pack then I can also use lighter boots/shoes, which further lightens the load and makes walking easier.

Instead of a conventional tent try a lightweight tarp or tarp/tent made from silnylon (or Cuben fiber if you want to lighten your wallet). A 2-man tarp weighs about 1 lb and fits in stuff sack about the size of an iPad.
:soapbox:

OK. I'll stop now. I just wanted you to know there are alternatives out there that make a lot of sense depending on your personality.

-Scott