Tent Questions

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tent Questions

Post by thepreciselife »

1. What is the best way to carry a tent in/on your pack? I have a sleeping bag in the bottom compartment, and a pad under (outside) and ill possibly be attaching the bear canister on top, my tent doesnt fit in its case, in my backpack but it would if I took it out of the case w. tubes.

2. When backpacking the Sierra, and leaving your site for a day trip/exploring, do you leave your stuff at your site or pack up and take it all for the day?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent Questions

Post by maverick »

I carry my tent on the outside, on the side of my backpack, under the compression
straps.

On day hikes, most of the time especially if solo, I take my tarp/pancho, sleeping
bag & mat, extra food, water & purifier, extra clothes, and other essential gear,
just in case I get injured and cannot get back to my basecamp.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

But leave your tent behind?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by J ney »

1. I stuff my tent in a compression sack and keep it in my pack - the poles I stand in the bag as well vertically (or outside the pack in a side pocket with compression straps).

2. Generally I camp in areas where there are few people so I always leave my tent up during day hikes - I would imagine I would do the same at a more established campground but - fortunately - I haven't had to stay at those for more than a night.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by J ney »

For reference, I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Ah yes, why didnt I think of that, leave the tent in the sack, then pack the poles separately,
that would def work.

Well we're going still has 80% of the permits available so I doubt itd be crowded at all, guess
that's just something I'll determine once I'm there and asses the situation haha

I doubt anyone at 9,600 ft would even be interested in stealing someones tent haha
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

But leave your tent behind?
Yes, my pancho can be used as rain gear and as a tarp.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

Placement of ones gear is usually limited to the design of the backpack. Which takes some creativity to place all your gear for every person its different. That said,

My pack is the middle one.

Thankfully, I have a cheap (8 year old?) Jansport Klamath that outperforms all of the packs I have browsed in stores and online, simply because of the 4 external compartments plus 2 mesh side pockets big enough for nalgene bottle holders PLUS fly rod case. I find it one of the most practical packs I've seen and my friends also seem to agree. They have to dig through 1 large compartment to find things, while mine are on the outside.

Given this info, it would help if you told us what type of pack you have, so we can see the design and then think of a way to best fit the tent with the specific design. In my case, you can see how I packed my tent and pad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by J ney »

thepreciselife wrote:I doubt anyone at 9,600 ft would even be interested in stealing someones tent haha
Agreed!! I've never worried much about this happening. Mostly solid folks in the backcountry and stealing in the backcountry could very easily end up as manslaughter (in my mind) if conditions turn (not sure if there's precedence on this).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I put my shelter where it won't be pulled off if I shove through tree branches, manzanita or willows, or torn by the odd granite sharp edge.

I use trekking poles for my shelter so don't need to fuss with tent poles.

If in Little Yosemite Valley or other designated camping area, I take it all with me - the only place in the entire range I've heard of theft has been in sites within a day's walk of a busy "metropolitan" area - such as Yosemite Valley - where hoards of non-backpackers roam. Otherwise I don't worry about theft.