Cannon 95S- more than autoumatic settings

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Cannon 95S- more than autoumatic settings

Post by oldranger »

Daisy

Another trick I use, especially for sunset shots. Is to have the exposure based on center of the frame in the p mode then to point at the sky push the photo button part way then lower the camera angle to include the mountains. You don't get a lot of detail in the darker portions of the pic but then that is not why you are taking the pic.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks OR. I know that trick and already use it often. The lighting (exposure??) is not the real problem. The automatic setting always comes in with a F4.0 or so focal length (is that the right term?). I think this causes some stuff to be out of focus. I remember when I used a 35mm film camera, I would usually set this at 5.6 or greater.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
The automatic setting always comes in with a F4.0 or so focal length (is that the right term?).
No, f4.0 is the aperture. You should be shooting at f10 and up, but not over f16, unless
you're trying to get a sun star.

The more open your aperture the more your reducing what will be in focus, useful
for wildflower or macro photography, but not for landscape photography, unless your
particular lens is the sharpest at f4.0, and then one would use focus stacking, which is
a technique/software used by photographers.

Shoot manual, take a reading of the clouds to the right or left of where the sun is
setting, lock that setting, recompose, and shoot, if you have it on auto, your camera
will automatically adjust for the sun, which is not what you want.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org