TR: Two solo nights in Dusy Basin 6/17/2014-6/19/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Two solo nights in Dusy Basin 6/17/2014-6/19/2014

Post by maiathebee »

Camp 1 in upper Dusy Basin by snackronym, on Flickr

This was the second trip of my road trip encircling the Sierra and my third solo trip ever. I was really excited to explore Dusy Basin, hoping to find some solitude and fantastic scenery. I was not disappointed! I had considered heading over Knapsack Pass and down into Palisade Basin for the second night, but after a brutal talus slog with a full pack (due to a poor route choice), I decided to stay in Lower Dusy Basin for the second night. Two nights is not nearly enough time to explore this gorgeous basin. The cross-country travel is easy, with landmarks everywhere and little to no underbrush to worry about. It’s a great place to explore if you’re interested in getting accustomed to off-trail travel!

Stats: 13 miles of trail travel, 7 miles of off-trail travel, elevation gain of 4300ft

Beta: A couple snowfields on Bishop Pass, only one that is dangerous at all, and it's probably gone by now. Mosquitos in Dusy Basin were barely there, probably a 1, but at Long Lake on my way OUT, they were a 4. I couldn't stop along the lake anywhere (at 1pmish, so not even dusk) without being swarmed.

Fully documented report & more photos here: http://plutoniclove.com/2014/06/26/bish ... onal-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I headed up the Bishop Pass trail. South Lake's sad status was super depressing, but soon enough I was enjoying gorgeous Long Lake, Saddlerock Lake, and Bishop Lake.

Looking back into the basin as the trail begins to climb up to Bishop Pass by snackronym, on Flickr

On my first night, I had a strange campsite-selection interaction with some people that I think is worth discussing separately, so I'll start a new thread for that. Basically, they walked right through my camp and then dropped their packs not 50 yards away, in the line of sight between my camp and the lake. [-X #-o :crybaby: I ended up chatting with them and encouraging them to move on, so I had all this to myself:

Sunset alpenglow above my camp in upper Dusy Basin by snackronym, on Flickr

Sunset in upper Dusy Basin by snackronym, on Flickr

Sunset in upper Dusy Basin by snackronym, on Flickr

On the second day, I had breakfast with THREE marmots (can you spot all three in this picture?!)

There are THREE marmots in this picture!!! by snackronym, on Flickr

..and then explored the basin a bit, heading over to Lake 11388 and up Knapsack Pass. I took a stupid route that entailed way way more steep talus than is actually necessary, but it was all good in the end.

Unreal glacial colors in the middle Dusy Basin lakes by snackronym, on Flickr

Looking down at lower Dusy Basin and the ridiculous talus I've been crossing by snackronym, on Flickr

Reading about the view from Knapsack Pass while looking at the view from Knapsack Pass by snackronym, on Flickr

I camped on some ledges above the lower Dusy Basin lakes.

Camp 2 on some cliffs above lower Dusy Basin lakes by snackronym, on Flickr

On my way out, I ran into a couple who said they'd read my post on HST where I said "I'll be wearing a pink ballcap and a pink hat---say hello!" in response to someone asking about Bishop Pass / Dusy Basin conditions. It was super fun to say hello and chat a bit about the boards! It's a great community we've got here :)

Bishop Pass trail running along Dusy Basin by snackronym, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Two solo nights in Dusy Basin 6/17/2014-6/19/2014

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the TR and lovely pictures to one of my favorite places.

Love Lake 11393 with its up close views of Winchell and Thunderbolt to the
east of it, with the right lighting that place can be magical. The small lakes/
ponds up towards Lake 11388 offer some great reflection of the peaks
mention above.

The rarely visited Rainbow Lakes especially the lowest string offers sub-lime views
northwest into LeConte Canyon, Goddard Divide, and beyond.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cahikr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahikr »

Thanks for the great trip report.
This is a place I have wanted to explore for a number of years now.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Great TR. I know your first campsite exactly! I've camped there myself. The views are just phenomenal.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;