Distressing Find on the White Mountain Triple Crown

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Distressing Find on the White Mountain Triple Crown

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Personally, I have never liked the idea of signing peak registers. I only signed a register on a peak when I had done a significant new route. Yet, I would NEVER feel I were the "peak register" police and impose my own views on everyone else. May people I have climbed with over the years have really enjoyed signing registers. I see that they really get enjoyment out of it. Just not my bag if tea. I am also kind of an anti-peak bagger. For several years I would stop short about 50 feet of the summmit to make my statement! Again, most people I climbed with loved to touch the top. I would never deprive them of that pleasure. What seems to be lacking nowadays, is tolerance for views other than your own.
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Distressing Find on the White Mountain Triple Crown

Post by KathyW »

Wandering Daisy wrote: What seems to be lacking nowadays, is tolerance for views other than your own.
I have to agree with that statement.

These days I don't care if I find a register on a summit, but if I find one I will sign it if it is my first time on top of the mountain. At the same time, I won't carry a new register to the top to replace an old one or a missing one. Maybe it's because I typically just get on top of bumps that are pretty easy to climb; so they are not a great accomplishment as far as climbs go.
themappist
Topix Acquainted

Distressing Find on the White Mountain Triple Crown

Post by themappist »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I suspect the removal of registers is more of an ideological statement from over-enthusiastic environmentalists who think of themselves as saviors of the wilderness because they do not think ANY permanant fixture or structure should be in a wilderness. Ignore the idea that you probably got there on a road, trail perhaps with signs and other permanent .

Why would they leave an empty ammo box then?