2014 Reliable Water Sources / Long Dry Sections

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2014 Reliable Water Sources / Long Dry Sections

Post by maverick »

Last year we had a "Reliable Water Sources 2013" thread, and with this year
again being a drought year, this could be a very helpful resource in which we
can collecting info to help members getting ready to embark on their trips, or
for those who are planning a trip for the mid to late season.
With the extremely dry conditions that we are experiencing, which
unfortunately will continue to get worse as we approach the mid to late
season, it would be extremely helpful if members would chime in on running
streams/creeks or extremely long, dry sections they encountered. Not talking
about every little creek, but named creeks, the ones that cross or are near the
trails that anyone going through that area would normally count on as water
source.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Yosemite 5/16

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yosemite - 5/16

Small snowmelt streams still running- barely

Plenty of small trickles on Merced Lake trail between bridge above Bunnell Falls and bridge at Echo Valley

Echo Valley essentially dry (not flooded), major tributary to Merced still good flow

Small trickles on trail from Echo Valley to JMT, with unnamed creek (not on map), where trail crosses still pretty good - more water than Sunrise Creek

Sunrise Creek below cross-trail to Merced Lake - very low, already has algal blooms

Unnamed creek at JMT (Clouds Rest trail jct), slightly more than Sunrise Creek

One small trickle on trail to Clouds Rest

Snowfields on north side of Clouds Rest summit (you could still camp up there and melt snow for water)

Four Mile Trail - only one small creek down low
oldranger
Topix Addict

Upper Merced 6/15-6/24

Post by oldranger »

Warning! Just returned from upper Merced. There was just enough water that I did not carry any. For the next month assume that only major streams will have flowing water. After that water sources will be extremely limited. That is why I am heading back to Oregon in early July (not to mention I miss my wife!)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
robow8
Topix Regular

Re: Upper Merced 6/15-6/24

Post by robow8 »

oldranger wrote:Warning! Just returned from upper Merced. There was just enough water that I did not carry any. For the next month assume that only major streams will have flowing water. After that water sources will be extremely limited. That is why I am heading back to Oregon in early July (not to mention I miss my wife!)

Mike
I will be doing a loop out of HI in late August. HI to Illilouette/Clark Fork to Lower Ottoway Lake over Red Peak Pass to Merced Lake to LYV to HI. How do you think water will be then?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: 2014 Reliable Water Sources / Long Dry Sections

Post by oldranger »

My guess is that it will be really dry up to Ottoway, after you cross the Merced. there are several ponds between Ottoway and Merced peak fork. I suspect there will be a trickle in Merced peak and triple peak forks. Each have large pools (Merced fork below the red peak pass trail is my favorite campsite in the Sierra) that will have water. Downstream there will be water in the river.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
mblakely
Topix Novice

Post by mblakely »

Yosemite
July 6-10, 2014

Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest junction - first of the two lakes just prior to the junction has lots of water.
Image:

Several small creeks crossing the trail after the lake have small flow, but probably taste better than the lake.

Upper sunrise creek, where the JMT meets the trail north to Tenaya Lake and the trail West to Echo Valley is about 3 feet wide and has good flow.
Image:
Lower sunrise creek at LYV is dry. Hard to tell exactly where the water all disappears underground.

Merced River at LYV has lots and lots of water.
JTK555
Topix Novice

Post by JTK555 »

Does anybody know the current conditions of the West Walker River near Leavitt Meadows? I'm thinking about backpacking there mid September.
uneaqs
Topix Novice

Post by uneaqs »

I'm also interested in how much water is do be found on the stretch from Leavitt Meadows up to Tower Lake. Planning a trip there in September. Seems like it might be very dry this year :(

Thanks in advance for any info.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: 2014 Reliable Water Sources / Long Dry Sections - Granite Cr

Post by Troutdog 59 »

My wife and I checked out the Granite Creek area yesterday and the creeks in this region are as low as I've ever seen them and I've visited the area at least once a year the last 20. Chiqito Creek and Granite Creek, two of the regions largest streams ar/e mere trickles that disappear completely in the areas with more alluvium. In the campground area at Granite Creek, there was waterin the big pools at the north end, then it disappeared in the alluvium of the meadow area, only to reappear where the bedrock outcrops near the old footbridge. I wouldn't count on stream water if hiking the Ansel Adams Wilderness out of here. The best place to "hydrate" in the region is Wagners Store at Mammoth Pool. They are reducing their inventory of draft beer!!!! Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, and 805 drafts for $1.50. Couldn't resist a couple of cold ones and a great sandwich while talking with the friendly staff. Picked up a couple t_shirts as well. The fire and drought have hit them hard this year. If your in the area, stop by and help them out a little.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
flyzapper
Topix Novice

Post by flyzapper »

Has anybody been to Rowell Meadow recently? Is there water flowing in the streams around Rowell Meadow and on the south side of JO Pass?