TR: June 16-21 - North Lake to Pine Creek - SHR variation

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
redbear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by redbear »

Long time lurker, finally decided to contribute after a recent 6 days trip to the High Sierra.
Last week, friend and I did a portion of SHR, starting from the North Lake trailhead on Monday, June 16th and finishing at the Pine Creek trailhead on Saturday, June 21st.
We’ve spent our first night at Muriel Lake – it was windy and cold. Muriel Lake was about 50% frozen. Piute pass was mostly clear of snow on both sides – with some easily avoided snow patches on the East side.
02. View West of Piute Pass.jpg
03. Muriel Lake.jpg
On our second day we’ve walked through the Humphreys Basin, over Puppet Pass down to French Canyon and then back up to Merriam Lake. Puppet Pass was practically clear of snow on both sides.
05. Desolation Lake.jpg
07. Top of Puppet Pass looking West.jpg
08. Merriam Lake.jpg
Our third day took us over Ruskie Pass down to Seven Gables lakes basin and up to Vee Lake. It was still a lot of snow on the East side of the pass, but west side was mostly clear.
09. Approaching Ruskie Pass.jpg
11. Ruskie Pass - West side.jpg
12. Seven Gables Lakes basin.jpg
Day four was supposed to be our layover day but we decided to climb Seven Gables to “shake the rust off our crampons and ice axes”. We went up the East chute to the saddle and then up to summit via the North Ridge. The chute was full of snow but the North Ridge was practically clear. From Vee Lake - it took us a little less than 5 hours to summit. The view from the peak is incredible – one of the best in the Sierras!
14. Seven Gables.jpg
On day five we went up to Bear Lakes Basin and over the Granite Bear Pass down to Granite Park. Granite Bear Pass was 100% clear on the west side and almost all snow on the East side. When we’ve got there, the snow was perfect – soft top would allow us to safely kick our steps in without much effort and firm bottom would prevent post-holing. Going through Granite Park we’ve decided to make a detour to Chalfant Lakes, where we’ve spent our final night of the trip.
20. Black Bear Lake with Granite Bear pass on right.jpg
Day six we’ve got back on trail in Granite Park and exited via the Pine Creek trailhead.
It was a great early season trip that would be much more difficult to accomplish have we had a wet winter. Also, besides meeting couple of hikers on our way in and out - we have not seen a single person the entire time.
Thanks for reading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redbear
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: June 16-21 - North Lake to Pine Creek - SHR variatio

Post by redbear »

I was unable to post more than ten pictures in my original report - below are a few more pics I wanted to share, mostly because it shows the back country conditions.
Enjoy!
06. Top of Puppet Pass looking East.jpg
10. Ruskie Pass.jpg
13. Vee lake.jpg
15. Approaching Seven Gables saddle.jpg
16. Seven Gables North Ridge.jpg
17. Vee lake from Seven Gables.jpg
19. Bear Lakes basin.jpg
21. Granite Bear pass - looking East.jpg
22. Granite Bear pass from Granite Park.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by redbear on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryanoa
Topix Novice

Re: TR: June 16-21 - North Lake to Pine Creek - SHR variation

Post by Ryanoa »

Thanks for posting! Great pics...
I'll be finishing up my SHR adventures the end of next month...the last 2 stages. Can't wait to get out there again.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for,your tr and photos! I'm grounded for the next three weeks and living vicariously through your pxts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Thanks for sharing the TR and the pics.

Texan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Great TR and pictures. Thank you very much for adding the additional pictures of
the passes which will be very helpful to you fellow HST members. :thumbsup:
Love the partially frozen Muriel Lake shot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
themappist
Topix Acquainted

Post by themappist »

Great views. Its swampy where I am and those pics cool my heart. Thanks.