Check out my new kicks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Check out my new kicks

Post by Hobbes »

OK, HST peeps, thought you might get a kick out of my new kicks.

The trail running shoe is a New Balance MT1010v2. Since it appears it's in limbo until v3, it created a mad rush on available stock, which is why all I could find in size 12.5 2E were these neon blue numbers. Still, I've been hiking/running in these the last few years, and they absolutely rock. I'm up to 25-30 miles per week, and never have any issue when hiking. (Note the Vibram sole.)

Also, I got the Luna sandals pictured above as both a camp & trail shoe. (The size 12s weigh 10.5 ounces - they also have a Vibram sole + goat leather insole.) They're modern copies of ancient leather/thong sandals developed by this guy:

http://www.lunasandals.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are weirdly secure - you can actually jog in them (if you have proper form) and they should work really well on established trails like the PCT/JMT in non-rocky (ie pass) sections.

I'm planning on going from Onion to Portal in a few days, but won't be taking them due to snow. However, we're car camping @ Horseshoe over the 4th, and I'm definitely going to wear these up to the Cottonwood lakes.

I'm also going to bring them along to the HST meetup - they should rock on all the standard trail sections. Heck, I'll probably wear them after the Pothole on Shepherd, since they are so comfortable.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Check out my new kicks

Post by maverick »

Hobbes wrote:
neon blue
I'm also going to bring them along to the HST meetup
I will see you coming from miles away. :lol:
How are they over rocky terrain?Scree? Steep downhill slopes? Do they have a wide
toe box? Are they stick soles?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Check out my new kicks

Post by oldhikerQ »

Which version of the Luna sandals do you have?
Can't seem to find it on their site.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost