Can You 'Hold' A Campsite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Can You 'Hold' A Campsite?

Post by InsaneBoost »

That probably isn't the correct title or way to word it, but it's the best I could think of.

We plan on camping Fri-Sun at Yosemite Creek Campground, or another depending on the 'best' site we can find. With that said, Friday could be pushing it. Along with that, we have space issues in our CR-V, so we would like to go up Tuesday with some things, pay for the site, and lock them in the bear locker.

Are we allowed to do that? I couldn't find any useful information. I assume that as long as we pay for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then we would be okay? Can we also lock things (with a lock) in our bear locker being we won't be there till Friday?

We want to bring up some fire wood, water, and some other things to save space.

Would I be okay doing this? Or would I be getting in trouble?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Can You 'Hold' A Campsite?

Post by markskor »

Not 100% sure but...locking of any of the big, brown, public, bear boxes found in Yosemite (in fact, most all Sierra) is never allowed...bad karma too.
Rangers in Yosemite, if they discover the locked box - (take your chance?) will cut the lock off, and have the option of confiscating anything found inside.

However, you can "hold" a site with a paid receipt left there at the campsite...many do just this, leaving some cheap gear out...visible.
Mountainman who swims with trout
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good to know, thanks for the information. I figured the locking would be illegal or at least against the rules, but I assumed it would be okay to keep the camp as long as we paid for each night.

We have an old tent so we'll just set that up while we're not there. Wondering what the best solution is for the wood. Should we take it up and should be okay? Or would you not risk it?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

You are encouraged NOT to import wood into Yosemite, as the wood you bring may have parasites that are not native to the area. They suggest that you simply buy local wood from one of the stores up there.

But how much wood do you need? Unless you are roasting an ox, you should be able to get by with just a bundle or two.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good point about the wood, forgot about that. Where's the best place by Yosemite Creek? Or can I pick some up in the valley on the way to the 120?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I think the store at Crane Flat sells firewood....that's pretty easy.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Yup, that will be my stop. Thanks.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Not sure what vehicle (and how much room) you have available in your car but...
Rather than paying big bucks for a small stack of chitty wood, just pull over off 120, somewhere not near a popular trailhead, and hike in a few paces. Plenty of available wood is down everywhere.
Most will break up nicely over a rock.
I just throw/ rope a few pieces atop my jeep and save my money for other pleasures.
Mountainman who swims with trout
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

2X :thumbsup: Mark. I do that too. Does two things. Keeping the forest floor thinned out (ecologically green and all that chit) and my wallet fatter. Besides it burns better rather than just smolder! I too have a system. Just jamb it into the back seat of the rent a car!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't believe doing so is legal. Most campsites I have stayed in say that the site must be occupied.