10-Lakes - Yosemite - Looking for Advice - Newbie...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stoner
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

10-Lakes - Yosemite - Looking for Advice - Newbie...

Post by Stoner »

First time on HST. Fantastic resource for a newbie backpacker!

We've got our permit to enter at the 10-lakes trailhead (by Yo-Creek) 2nd week of July. Been all over Yosemite, but never done THIS hike. Dayhiking for years and (finally) have broken into backpacking. This is our test-hike to prep for 8-days on the JMT in September.

We have four days to play with. Could I please get some advice on which route to take, where to camp, and what kind of weather we ought to expect? Thanks a lot!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 10-Lakes - Yosemite - Looking for Advice - Newbie...

Post by Vaca Russ »

Hi Stoner!

Welcome to HST! Did your family member invent the M-16? :D :snipe: :D

The weather will be warm and sunny with a chance of showers. :nod: :nod:

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Stoner
Topix Novice

Post by Stoner »

Thanks Russ. Don't know anything about the M16. Probably a different Stoner.

I saw an article that says to do this hike as a loop between yo-creek and tenaya lake. Do you know if that is the best way to go? What do you do about transportation back to the starting point?

Thanks,

Brian Stoner
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Stoner wrote:Thanks Russ. Don't know anything about the M16. Probably a different Stoner.

I saw an article that says to do this hike as a loop between yo-creek and tenaya lake. Do you know if that is the best way to go? What do you do about transportation back to the starting point?

Thanks,

Brian Stoner
Brian,

The M-16 was invented by Eugene Stoner. Don't feel bad if you didn't know this. My little girl's Veterinary Physician is named Dr. Stoner and he didn't know either.
Dogs1.JPG
Most accounts I have read about the Ten Lakes Basin have been an "in and out" hike. I suppose you could enter at Yose Creek and then continue on to Tenaya Lake. You could hitch a ride or take YART back to your car.

Try a search function and see what you can find.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Stoner
Topix Novice

Post by Stoner »

Thanks for the post(s). Anyone been in that area NW of Tenaya Lake recently? What are the daytime and nighttime temperatures like? Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

At that elevation, you should always expect freezing (even lower) temps at night and be prepared for them. The weather ignores NOAA forecasts some weekends.

You should also expect some mosquitos and a total fire ban.
Stoner
Topix Novice

Post by Stoner »

Thank you. Is there an online resource that can provide the actual weather/temps? Also, where should we expect to be able to get water along that trail?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Stoner wrote:
Is there an online resource that can provide the actual weather/temps? Also, where
should we expect to be able to get water along that trail?
Welcome to HST!
Yes, read this thread to get some ideas: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 78&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You have Yosemite Creek and branches of it that cross the trail from which you can get water.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jmac
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmac »

Stoner wrote:Thank you. Is there an online resource that can provide the actual weather/temps? Also, where should we expect to be able to get water along that trail?
Weather.gov will give you a pretty good idea of what the weather will be like. Just click on their interactive map in the area you will be. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
http://trailsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We did this as an in and out, but you could easily turn it into a loop around to May Lake or Polly Dome Lakes. Or just explore the basin--most people only see a few of the lakes. (There are only eight, I think,not ten, but still lots to see!)
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963