Camping in Yosemite (120)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Camping in Yosemite (120)

Post by InsaneBoost »

Not an issue for us, we've done the dug a hole and go routine before because some campground bathrooms were still locked :lol:

I checked out Tamarack Flat so know how that road can get, glad we have an SUV and not a low sitting car. Road was rough, I know my girlfriend has done Yosemite Creek so we should be good.

Thanks for the info!
Dag
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Dag »

If you want some nice campsites, go a little farther on 120 outside the park. The National Forest campsites in Lee Vining Canyon as you descend from the park boundary are beautiful, secluded and nice. Once you get outside the park, there's very nice Mono County campsites on the road to Lundy Lake if you turn north: the climb up gives you a great view of Mono Lake. Have fun!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Yesterday we did a big loop. Went out the 120 towards Mono, then left on 395, and then towards Sonora Pass. Pretty awesome and saw some campgrounds I've never heard of before. Some completely packed, others literally empty.

I believe I've seen the one you spoke of Lee Vining, we've thought of that one as well.

Funny side note, ran across a bear in the campground (Porcupine Flat), eating peoples soap and what I believe is scented candles.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Funny side note, ran across a bear in the campground (Porcupine Flat), eating peoples soap and what I believe is scented candles.

Maybe momma found him cussing that they didn't leave any real food and was washing the cub's mouth out!? :lol:
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Haha. This was a pretty big bear, and the only one out there. Funny because I was planning to ask if all these photos of bears in Yosemite were photoshopped, being I've gone up there just about every weekend, if not more, since the middle of January. Then ran across it.

It was a pretty big bear in my opinion, but you all might know more than me. I figured it was somewhat young, but obviously not a baby.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Here's the bear

jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Great looking bear, but I would like to see a picture of the idiot campers that left their soap and candles out where the bear could get to it.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I left a note saying "A bear was eating your stuff, for pictures email me" LOL.

Here's the campsite. Most of the stuff he was messing with was on the bear locker. Candle. Soap. Wine bottle of some sort (opened). Etc.

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

nice pics and a happy and healthy sized bear. Lucky the ranger didn't stop by before you and leave them a nice citation.