3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Post by AlmostThere »

Some of us went into Pear Lake yesterday. Most popular lake in Sequioa NP, with pit toilets and designated campsites to reduce the impact of the hordes of boy scouts and other backpackers.

You're backpacking. Let 'em look the other way.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by thepreciselife »

Awesome. :D
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

Ok so since plan A is hiking LLV to Chicken foot lake and possibly just go past (it if its too crowded)
to Gem Lakes or maybe Morgan Lakes...but I see another lake on the maps called "Bear Lake"
anyone have any experience hiking out of Chicken foot lake? All the TRs I find stop at Chicken Foot lake or go up to Morgan pass but thats about it.

Also plan B is hiking to Second Lake / Big Pine Lakes.

and plan C is leaving that area and heading a little north to Thousand Island Lake.

Any input/opinions/suggestions?

Maybe throw in Chain lakes as plan D? haha
So far though Im really just hoping there is a permit available for us on Friday for LLV because
it seems ideal for us, not too long of a hike, not too much elevation gain, beautiful area, possible to
get away from crowded areas.
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

any opinions?

also, what would be my best plan in regards to sleeping in the area over night
when I arrive thursday? sleeping in the car, quick campsite set up, motel in bishop?

I called the station and they said for LLV the closest station is White Mountain Ranger Station Visitor Center in Bishop.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

If you are driving up late on Thursday from LA trying to get a permit for Friday, here is my go to method:

Drive up the 14 to the 395, get dinner along the way, do dispersed camping in the alabama hills west of Lone Pine.

Get up and get to the permit office in Lone Pine by 8AM. Hope you get a permit. If you don't get one but there are people who haven't collected their yet, then you can:

Drive to Bishop. Go to the permit office there and try to get a cancellation at 10AM. If you can't, you have two options. You can either:

a: get a walk in permit for any other awesome trail around there. There are plenty.
b: wait til 11am and get a walk in permit for the following day, and then go do a dayhike and acclimate a bit before you backpacking trip.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

AWESOME! Right in the area too! Do I need a permit or anything to camp there?
I believe I will be getting there around 10-11pm will that be a problem? Besides the darkness? haha

I read on yelp you can just drive around til you find a spot you like?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

No permit needed. It is free too. You just need to drive around a bit to find a secluded spot. The morning view from there is tough to beat. If you want to keep things simpler, Tuttle creek campground is nearby for six bucks
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

maverick wrote: Also don't forget 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake (just east of Tioga Pass),
a gorgeous place with numerous beautiful lakes and towering Mount Conness with
the pretty emerald green Conness Lakes under it. It is as easy to access as LLV, here
are some shots of that area: https://www.google.com/search?q=mount+c ... ch&imgdii=_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I second 20 Lakes Basin. I'm taking one of my girlfriends on her first backpacking trip to 20 Lakes Basin over the 4th of July. (Now that I have been overnight 3 times, I am the group leader. LOL)
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Post by thepreciselife »

20 Lakes looks nice, but not exactly what I am looking for.

After thinking it over, I believe Chain Lakes will be my Plan A since I've read
that the dirt road makes it less crowded than a lot of the other, more popular trails
such as LLV.

They're both very beautiful though.