TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by maverick »

Schmalz wrote:
I don't think Dragon Pass with a full pack would be a good introduction to Sierra off
trail travel. Since you have expressed some hesistation about it, you might find
yourself in over your head on that pass.
My two cents.
OP wrote:
Sorry about that, I neglected to provide more info under the assumption that I was more
or less the same hiker type as OP. Here's some further info:

-Level 3 (open to 4)
-Comfortable with all types of terrain
-Lakes/Big Mountain Scenery/Photography
-4-4.5 days, 4 nights
Your are correct Schmalz that Dragon is definitely not a pass to use as a intro, but
earlier the OP did write the he had Level 3 experience and open to Level 4, and
comfortable on all terrain. He also indicated that on this trip he did not want
to do any cross-country.
OP wrote:
Ordinarily I'd be fine with XC hiking, but this trip I'd prefer not to.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Adam wrote:

The more I look at the map, the more I think that Kearsarge -> Rae Lakes Loop
would be an awesome trip and I'd be willing to do XC travel as long as it doesn't
comprise a large majority of the trip. Also, I've managed to extend the trip to 5
days/4 nights, so do you think this is doable?

After a bit more research, I've also been seriously considering Twin Lakes -> Deadman
Canyon -> Tablelands loop out of Lodgepole, which would involve a bit of XC. Thoughts
on which one of these makes the most sense? I went ahead and reserved a permit for
the latter trip in anticipation of possibly doing it.

Thanks again!
Okay, so now this trip is morphing into a day longer trip, and you would like to
include cross-country?
Please clarify what you are pertaining to when saying the Rae Lake Loop, are you
interested in doing the 41.4 mile Rae Lakes Loop, because if yes, there is no cross-
country involved?

Yes, your second option is doable in your time frame (5 days), your cross-country
section involves using Pterodactyl Pass (Class 2): http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =31&t=8450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cross-country section to Moose Lake and then on to Pear Lake quite straight
forward.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I think the following loop fits your time and goals. If you had more time to explore Gardiner Basin and/or Sixty Lake Basin or climb so much the better, but it is a good trip without side trips.

Gardiner Basin Loop from Onion Valley: Onion Valley to Kearsarge Pass to Charlotte Lake (off trail or on use trails) to Gardiner Pass to upper Gardiner Basin to Sixty Lake Col to Sixty Lake Basin (back on trail) to Rae Lakes to Glenn Pass to Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley.

Acme Mapper 2.1 shows the use trail sections as a trail (dotted line).

-Scott
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Gardiner Lakes loop is for all practical purposes, an off-trail route. That trail has not been maintained in decades. Good trip if you want mostly off-trail.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Good trip if you want mostly off-trail.
Significant off-trail, but not mostly off-trail. :D There is a clear use trail from Charlotte Lake until you swing north to Gardiner Pass (at least there was 10 yrs ago). By time the off-trail section is roughly 1/3 of the trip duration and is thus less than 1/3 of the mileage. The off trail section follows water except for the two passes, so it is hard to get lost. Well, I read of one group that got off course just below Gardiner Pass because it is forested, but map and compass work or a GPS would solve that problem. The rest is navigation by sight.
aweist
Topix Novice

Post by aweist »

You're correct Maverick, sorry for the confusion. I have done cross-country travel before in Wyoming & Montana, but am traveling with a friend this trip and initially wanted to avoid it. However, I would not be opposed to minimal (say 20%) XC. I was referring to the Rae Lakes trip you mentioned above, but thanks Schmalz for the heads-up re: Dragon Pass. I assume that the actual Rae Lakes Loop with east side entry is a bit ambitious for 5 days?

Thanks for the alternate suggestion Ska-T, that looks like an awesome loop too. I'll do some more research on that and see if it looks doable. I suppose my main concern with XC was having to do a lot of research on the front end due to my limited time, but if the route is pretty self explanatory I'm more than okay with that. I'll be sure to post a TR of whichever trip we decide on.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

aweist wrote:I assume that the actual Rae Lakes Loop with east side entry is a bit ambitious for 5 days?
If you are in good shape, don't have altitude issues, your pack weight is not too heavy, and you don't spend too much time on side trips/fishing/climbing/etc, then 5 days is a reasonable amount of time for the loop. Here is a trip report from a guy who did the loop in 6 days, but his first day was only 2.5 mi.
http://cholla.mmto.org/hiking/sierras/trips/rae/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rae Lakes Loop in 5 days is reasonable, though neither Paradise Valley nor Bubb's are
locations that I would go out of the way to see, especially if the choices of Gardiner
or 60 Lakes Basin were on the table too. IMO the highlight of the Rae Lakes Loop is
Rae Lakes, and when folks have more time they usually include 60 Lakes Basin.
Whatever you choose to do, be prepared for a lot of mosquitoes.