Food Bowls/Plates/Mugs/Utensils

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Looking to save some space for when I go camping with the family, and then to have my eventual plates and what not for backpacking. Been looking at the Sea to Summit X series of bowls, plates, mugs and their utensils (comes with fork/knife/spoon).

Is this what most people use? They seem to be pretty popular. Should I be looking at another brand? Anyone have good/bad experiences with them or other brands?

Thanks
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food Bowls/Plates/Mugs/Utensils

Post by sparky »

Foron car camping we use the thicker clear plastic plates/silverwear. They are most definitely washable and cheap.

For backpacking....you looking for solo use? I just use a pot, mug, and spork. The knife in my misc. bag cuts up whatever. I cant think of the brand of my cook kit, but i like it enough that I have bought it twice. It is heavy @ 10oz, but its cheaper than ti and is of good quality.

Ill edit this post when I get home to look at the brand/model. It fits my stove perfectly (msr pocket rocket)
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

We bought plastic plates, cups and silverware at the dollar store. For coffee, we use travel mugs. The plates and cups are fine, but if you're used to nice silverware the dollar store ones suck.

When it comes to cooking utensils, I actually go the opposite way and buy really nice ones. You get what you pay for and I hate using crappy utensils while cooking.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

For backpacking I carry a 1qt measuring cup and a plastic spoon. The cup is kind of on the heavy side at 2.4oz but I love the big handle and I use it as a bowl for eating and a mug for drinking. When I want something with a wider diameter I bring one of those square plastic food storage containers that you can buy in the supermarket. It has a top which is sometimes very useful and weighs 1.6oz. If solo I usually just eat out of the pot, if I have a stove at all. When I go stoveless I don't even take a spoon.

Car camping is different.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I use a ziploc screw top container with a duct tape/reflectix cozy. I have an x mug and x cup but those are heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I highly recommend Orikaso fold flat plates, bowls and mugs. I use them for backpacking, car camping and picnics. They may have quit making them though?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Still made...Ebay
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks for the information everyone.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

For backpacking consider freezer bag cooking. Take a zip-loc bowl (0.8oz), a lightweight spoon or spork, and a lightweight pot to boil water in (the Stanco Grease Pot is 3.6oz with the lid or use foil for a lid and the weight is ~2.6oz.). Take freeze-dried food in meal size portions with each meal in an individual quart size freezer zip-loc bag. Put the freezer bag with the food in the zip-loc bowl. The bowl provides insulation and support. Heat the required amount of water to boiling and pour it inside the bag. Stir the food/water, seal the bag, and wait per the food directions (10 mins for most Mountain House meals). Open and eat. Pack out the used freezer bag.

When you pack your food, write the item and cooking directions on the zip-loc bag with a sharpy (Eg.: "Stroganoff 2c hot 10mins" or abbreviate it "Strog 2cH 10m"). That way you'll know what it is, how much water to add, and whether it takes hot or cold water. Ditch the oxygen absorber. This is a very light, very little mess, no fuss system. The freezer bags weigh less than the original packaging and pack down a lot better in the bear can.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good info, never thought of that.