Camping in Yosemite (120)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Camping in Yosemite (120)

Post by InsaneBoost »

Hey everyone,

I plan to do some camping in Yosemite, somewhere along the 120. Yosemite Creek, Tamarack Flat, etc. Usually those have some open campsites in the walk-ins from my girlfriends experience, and being up there this past weekend there were a ton of sites open in them.

My question is, being we're just going with a car, I plan to bring the Coleman Roadtrip Grill we have (being it's the only portable grill we have). While I have camped at Big Sur with no problem, and Marmot Rock, I'm a bit worried about the 120 area.

I know the grill cannot fit in a bear locker, and I obviously don't want to put it in the car and have a Bear try to get in, so what exactly is my best option here? Am I supposed to buy a smaller grill that can fit in the locker? Leave it out by the bear locker?

At Marmot I just left it out behind some rocks, being our tent was set up a good 100ft away. It was never messed with, but I don't want to risk that again as I was paranoid all night.

Any tips? Advice?

Thanks!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Camping in Yosemite (120)

Post by SweetSierra »

Hi InsaneBoost,

You won't have any problem with leaving your grill out. Just go and have a good time. I've never known a bear to bother with a grill. I don't use a big grill but I've camped along the 120 and many other places where big grills that other campers use are left out in bear country. I've often left my stove out with no issues. The problem is food that's left out in such places. or coolers. Put it in your car, if you're concerned.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I dont bring a grill, just because they are provided at most fire rings. Bring charcoal and cook on tin foil. Those grills do get defiled :confused:

If you do want to bring one like sweet sierra said, it isnt a worry. I have never had one or know anyone that has had one messed with
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good to know guys, thanks for the information, just wasn't sure exactly. Didn't want to be the guy everyone is like, "look at this idiot leaving his grill out."
macchiolives
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by macchiolives »

If you wind up staying in Yosemite Creek, the hike from Yosemite Creek to Yosemite Falls is pretty spectacular!
macchiolives
Topix Novice

Post by macchiolives »

Also, I can't remember the exact campsite number, but at Yosemite Creek, head left after driving near the trailhead to Yosemite falls. Drive to the end of the road and there's a campsite on the corner that has it's own private little "meadow." It's the best campsite on the campgrounds (in my opinion).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Leave it out, and don't worry about it. Just make sure you wipe off any food, or
grease particles after usage, and you will have no issues.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

macchiolives wrote:Also, I can't remember the exact campsite number, but at Yosemite Creek, head left after driving near the trailhead to Yosemite falls. Drive to the end of the road and there's a campsite on the corner that has it's own private little "meadow." It's the best campsite on the campgrounds (in my opinion).
Yes I believe that is campsite #14. That's where the woman has stayed multiple times, says it's her favorite spot. Or I believe it's campsite #14.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

maverick wrote:Leave it out, and don't worry about it. Just make sure you wipe off any food, or
grease particles after usage, and you will have no issues.
Usually always do that anyways so less to clean when I get home so that's a plus!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

+1 on the leaving leaving the grill out.

I saw a bear mess with a grill once at the old Harden Lake campground decades ago. But that was because the grill had a couple of large steaks on it. A rock to the butt sent the bear galloping.

White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows camps have tap water and flush toilets if that matters to you. Porcupine Flat, Tamarack Flat, and Yosemite Creek do not. Yosemite Creek and Tamarack Flat require ~3 miles of dirt road driving.