Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tallkan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by tallkan »

Hey Andy! Good to see you on here. I remember you well, partly because you have posted some trip reports that I've been quite jealous of. Maybe we'll meet on the trail again some time!!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Bluewater »

Cool! Thanks Adan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Hi Tallkan,

Welcome to HST. That's a great group of lasses you have there. It's nice to see a man introduce his daughters to his love of nature.

Tom
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jdille »

Hello All,

I found this forum last year (2013) when smoke from the Rim Fire forced me to cancel my 4 night Desolation Wilderness trip. I ended up finding a great Ansel Adams loop (smoke free) from the forum. The trip and condition reports were so helpful. I still can't believe we had such an amazing trip with so little time for planning. HST was invaluable. I guess I've been a lurker ever since.
Hubby and I are mid-thirties. Grew up camping in Idaho. We've camped quite a bit in California but have really enjoyed backpacking the past 5 years. I wish I could spend longer than 3-5 nights on the trail but our jobs don't really allow for more at the moment.
We are about to spend the next couple of long weekends on the trail and hope to pay back with some trip/mosquito reports. This is such a great community. Thank you for everything!

J
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi J,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading the TR's of your adventures. :)
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Guilty as charged...I'm a long time lurker. :) My name is Brandy and I live in Orange County. This is my first year venturing into backpacking and I think that I know the SEKI fax number by heart at this point. :paranoid: I have a few trips planned for this month...heading to Mineral King the next two weekends and I just booked permits for Rae Lakes on the 23rd of July. I'm looking forward to gleaning more tips from all of you and hope to have a trip report of my own to post soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tallkan
Topix Acquainted

Post by tallkan »

Brandy! you're in my neighborhood! I just returned from Rae Lakes day before yesterday. Where are you entering from? Hit me up if you have any questions. I will try to post a TR soon. Welcome and good luck on your hikes!!
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Thanks Adan! I'm in Orange, backed up to Santiago Oaks...it's not the Sierras, but it's nice for a quick little after work hike or mountain bike ride. :)

My permits are for Bubbs Creek, so we're doing the loop counter clockwise. We don't have to be back in OC until Sunday night, so we're up for some side trips or peak bagging while we're on the loop. Did you take the kids with you to Rae Lakes? I'm taking two of mine (11 and 14) to Mineral King the weekend after next, can't wait to get them out there!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Brandy,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your TR's of those trips. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tallkan
Topix Acquainted

Post by tallkan »

Thats going to be an awesome hike, Bubbs creek is very nice. I did not take my kids on this one. I went in from Onion Valley and hit RAE lakes on day 1 of a 3 day hike. The mosquitos were bearable that day but very bad other days, so consider that your biggest priority for the hike. on day two I had dinner and breakfast inside my tent because of the relentless bugs. I hope you dont have any such issue though. have fun!