Lost Wedding Ring -- FOUND

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Lost Wedding Ring -- Charlotte Lake

Post by hikin_jim »

I assume that horse packers are using them for food storage.

As for fish...

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Bingo! thanks for that pic. What stove or were there coals involved? That's my hot coals setup with the foil and a few spices and some lemon slices..
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Stove, yes, and coals, yes too. I used a Ti-Tri from Trail Designs. EXCELLENT stove.

You can see the Ti-Tri immediately behind the fish I'm cleaning in this photo. There are several fish wrapped up in the aluminum foil that you can see atop the stove.

HJ
Last edited by hikin_jim on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

I'm somewhat bemused that this has turned into fishing and stove post (I mean, I am hoping my wedding ring will be found) :)

But since a couple of people have asked me about what stove I was using, here's a write up I did on said stove: The Ti-Tri Stove. "Tri" refers to its three fuels: alcohol, ESBIT, and wood. The kinda cool thing about this particular stove is that it works equally well on all three. There are other stoves that burn wood that you can kind of burn alcohol in, but just kind of. Not so with the Ti-Tri which works equally well on all three fuels. It's one of my "go to" stoves.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

If someone were to find my ring, I would like to offer a cash reward of $100. Trail magic is a wonderful thing, but I think a modicum of compensation would be warranted, and given the ring's sentimental value (it's just Ti, so no big monetary value), I am happy to offer a reward.

HJ
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You may have to melt that ti pot and make a new ti wedding ring!
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

What? Heck no! That's my favorite pot. I love my wife, but even love has it's limits. ;)

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

If anyone is headed out in the vicinity of Charlotte Lake this weekend, please keep an eye out for my ring. :)

Thanks,

HJ
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Jim:

Hi. I sent your description and map to the Charlotte Ranger, Jim Syvertsen. He's going in tomorrow (Sunday 6/22). He said he'd look for it. Hope hes' successful!

George
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Wow. Thank you very much, George. I talked to the Cedar Grove Visitor Center again on Friday morning, and they mentioned the ranger at Charlotte Lake, but they seemed hesitant to contact him for some reason.

A PCT Through Hiker that I know just looked for my ring earlier today, but he didn't find the two large jobsite type tool chests. Hopefully Jim will know where they are. I'll put a more detailed description below, although it may now be too late to get in touch with him?

MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION:
If one were walking west on the trail along Charlotte Lake, one would first come to the ranger station, then to the NPS bear locker, and then to the west end of the lake. As the trail draws even with the west end of Charlotte Lake, it is some distance away from the outlet stream. As the trail proceeds further west, it turns a bit to the left (~SW) and comes closer to the outlet stream. If one looks to the right (~NW), there is a bit of a rise with a pretty faint use trail going toward it. If one were to follow this faint use trail, there is a flat area, suitable for a large group to camp in on a sort of bench type area that is just above and slightly to the north of the Charlotte Lake trail. West of this flat area there is a bit of a rise, the crest of an indistinct ridge. In an cluster of trees more or less on the crest of the indistinct ridge are two large jobsite type tool chests. The brand name "Knaack" can be seen on at least one of the tool chests. These tool chests are similar in size to a NPS bear locker but are a bit lighter in color. The eastern most of these two tool chests can be seen from the above described flat area but most definitely cannot be seen from the Charlotte Lake Trail. I lost my ring in the flat area just east of the two tool boxes, perhaps 30 yards east, perhaps a bit less. As I recall, I set my ring on a rock that might have been about 18 to 24 inches in height while I washed up. I have revised slightly my topo map of the vicinity; I have now sketched in the faint use trail using yellow dots. Note also that the tool chests are on the crest of the indistinct ridge (placement approximate) and that the lost ring location is just east of the tool chests.

HJ