TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
aweist
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by aweist »

Really enjoyed reading this and would love to do the whole loop. The longest I'll be able to take off work is about 4-5 days, though - any suggestions on where to trim from this loop in order to fit it in that time frame (starting from the East side)? Looking to do about 35-45 miles total and would love to see Cloud Canyon & Bighorn Plateau. Would also love a solid mix of below and above-tree line scenery. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by maverick »

Hi Aweist,

Welcome to HST! Please the following: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
aweist
Topix Novice

Post by aweist »

Hi Maverick,

Sorry about that, I neglected to provide more info under the assumption that I was more or less the same hiker type as OP. Here's some further info:

-Level 3 (open to 4)
-Comfortable with all types of terrain
-Lakes/Big Mountain Scenery/Photography
-4-4.5 days, 4 nights

I'm interested in maximizing the scenery available along this route, but trimming from the length in order to hike around a 35-45 mile loop. I'd prefer something in the SEKI area with an eastern start. Most backpacking I've done has been in the Yosemite area as well as the trip up Mt. Whitney, but not much in between the two. As mentioned before, it'd be great to mix up some below and above-treeline hiking/camping.

Any other suggestions in this area would be much appreciated. Apologies if I should've started my own thread for this request! Thanks in advance.

-Adam
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Adam,
Adam wrote:
Looking to do about 35-45 miles total and would love to see Cloud Canyon & Bighorn
Plateau.
Visiting Cloud Canyon alone would take you more mileage than what you indicated
that you are willing to do.
Your mileage simply doesn't allow you to visit the places you indicated as a loop, and
from the east.

Visiting Bighorn coming in from Shepherd and exiting via Whitney would hit your
mileage requirements, but getting permits to exit or entering via Whitney will
be problematic and exiting out via the southern passes, south of Whitney, would
put you over the mileages you have indicated.
Shepherd or Whitney would be a brutal start for your short trip of 4 nights and
you would have the issue of getting back to the car.

The Rae Lake Loop out of Onion Valley, clockwise is 41.4 miles long, a beautiful
trip, but with it being a holiday weekend, expect company. If you do decide
on this trip, stay in Middle Paradise Valley, and at Dragon Lake for some solitude
if the crowds are big.

The North Lake to South Lake via Lamarck Col is a classic hike thru some of the
best areas in the Sierra. This is great trip, but would add on at least one more day,
two would be even better, if you can.

The Minarets out of Mammoth would give you sub-lime scenery, though a lot of
people if you stay at the more popular spots. 1000 Is Lake, Garnet, and Ediza Lake
are all popular, add in some of the lakes in the southern end like Ashley, which
is not crowded, quite stunning, and work your way up towards the 1000 Is Lake
area via the JMT. Minaret Lake to Lake Ediza is a classic route that is beautiful.

There are numerous TR's that you can use the "search feature" to check out these
specific areas, and then get back to us with any question or areas of interest.

Expect mosquitoes to be at peak in some of these areas, be prepared.

Also know your limitation in regards to elevation, some of these trips, especially
from the east get to high elevation very fast, and altitude sickness can be an issue.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
aweist
Topix Novice

Post by aweist »

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. That makes sense about Cloud Canyon, I wasn't sure if there was a trail that cut through the center of that loop that would trim down the mileage or not.

I think the trip through the Minarets to 1000 Island Lake is the closest to what I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble finding the best way to do a 4 day loop on-trail, assuming anywhere from 8-14 miles/day. Ordinarily I'd be fine with XC hiking, but this trip I'd prefer not to. Know of any existing TRs that would be a good resource? I would ideally like to make it down to see Minaret Lake, but can't tell if there's a trail to get down there. I suppose the easiest way to plan would be to look at a trail map, but I'm also having a hard time tracking one down that shows all maintained trails.

The other area I think would be awesome to explore is Kearsarge Pass/Bullfrog Lake. Any recommendations for the best way to incorporate this area into a 4 day trip (preferably on-trail)?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Best area map is Tom Harrison's "Mammoth High Country" trail map.
When are planning to do this trip?
To access the trail head you will have to use the mandatory shuttle from
Mammoth or drive in the gate and down to Agnew Meadow before 7am.
Take the River Trail up to 1000 Is Lake, spend 2 nights there, and either
go visit Catherine Lake, or go visit Davis and/or Marie Lakes as a day hike.
Then get on the JMT, go to Eidza Lake, and spend your last night there.
Use the trail to head back to the JMT from Ediza, and then take the
Shadow Lake Trail down to Agnew Meadows to catch the shuttle or your
car.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ake#p65534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... +TR#p83327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aweist
Topix Novice

Post by aweist »

Very helpful, thanks. We'll likely plan on doing that. The trip is coming up very soon; we're planning on July 2-6th. Do you have any thoughts regarding Kearsarge Pass or another loop in that area starting from Onion Valley? I realize that's the beginning of the original loop I asked about but was wondering if any trails went north of there and returned to Onion Valley. Thanks for putting up with all my elementary Sierra questions!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No 4 day/3 night loops out of Onion Valley, the only one would be Dragon Pass>Dragon
Lake/Rae Lakes>Glen Pass>Kearsarge Lakes>Out, but Dragon Pass is a solid class
2 cross-country pass, which you indicated that you did not want to do one this trip.

aweist
Topix Novice

Post by aweist »

The more I look at the map, the more I think that Kearsarge -> Rae Lakes Loop would be an awesome trip and I'd be willing to do XC travel as long as it doesn't comprise a large majority of the trip. Also, I've managed to extend the trip to 5 days/4 nights, so do you think this is doable?

After a bit more research, I've also been seriously considering Twin Lakes -> Deadman Canyon -> Tablelands loop out of Lodgepole, which would involve a bit of XC. Thoughts on which one of these makes the most sense? I went ahead and reserved a permit for the latter trip in anticipation of possibly doing it.

Thanks again!
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I don't think Dragon Pass with a full pack would be a good introduction to Sierra offtrail travel. Since you have expressed some hesistation about it, you might find yourself in over your head on that pass.

My two cents.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;