Mt. Rose 10,776 Feet 6/14/14

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Rose 10,776 Feet 6/14/14

Post by Vaca Russ »

We are spending the weekend in Tahoe. Why not bag the second highest peak in the basin?

Here is Sport at the trailhead.
1.JPG
There is our objective.
2.JPG
Oh, you can't tell where it is? Here is our model pointing out the summit.
3.JPG
There is a nice waterfall about half way up the trail.
5.JPG
4.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
She made it to the summit (an easy hike for this beauty).
8.JPG
Hey, rlown!! Didn't you comment last Tuesday about people taking the benchmarks???
9.JPG
:( :eek: :thumbsdown: [-X #-o ](*,) :)

There was no register as well.

Here are the hike statistics.
10.JPG
Thank you for reading our post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Rose 10,776 Feet 6/14/14

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Mt Rose is a county high point. I am slowly picking off county high points. I have about 10 remaining to do - the ones that are not interesting or have trespass issues. Not sure if I will finish the 58 county high points or not. Great photos. Thanks for the report.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks for the climb report. Looks like the snow is about completely gone. Did you see much of it elsewhere? My daughter and I are thinking about a quick 3 nighter in Deso this week.

Always enjoy your photography, it always depicts, .....hmm, how to say this, lovely subjects. Interesting you are never in the pics. Just kidding, but the thought crossed my mind: are you trying to avoid being seen by the IRS or someone?

(Someone's gone off their rocker about these registers, and now the markers too!)
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Mt Rose is a county high point. I am slowly picking off county high points. I have about 10 remaining to do -
Ms. Daisy (I recently saw somebody address you with "Ms. Daisy" and thought it was so much better than "WD") :) :) ...(even though your real name is the same as my big sister) :D ...

Sport is curious about the county high points. Have you climbed Mt. Vaca?

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Tom_H wrote:Thanks for the climb report. Looks like the snow is about completely gone. Did you see much of it elsewhere? My daughter and I are thinking about a quick 3 nighter in Deso this week.
Tom, there were only a few patches of snow on the ground. It looked like there was quite a bit across the lake around Dicks and Jacks Peak. It will be interesting to see your report.
Tom_H wrote: Always enjoy your photography, it always depicts, .....hmm, how to say this, lovely subjects. Interesting you are never in the pics.
I limit the pictures of me, not because of the IRS, but because of the "Balzaccom" effect. Here are a couple of us at the peak. We met a young Navy SEAL and he and I shared "torpedo room" stories before we got him to shoot these shots.
Peak1.JPG
Peak2.JPG
You can see this young SEAL behind "Sport".
Seal.JPG
P6140077.JPG
P6140078.JPG
P6140080.JPG
P6140096.JPG
P6140058.JPG
The true beauty of this women is that she ROUTINELY saves lives. As an Emergency Room Registered Nurse she has saved more people from the grim reaper than almost all of the rest of us.

Enjoy this "lovely subject". :D :nod: :D :nod:

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kahil Gibran.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, I walked up Mt Vacca, Solano County high point. Basically walk up a road.

I bought Suttle's book - California County Summits, years ago at a book sale (I think it is out of print) and since I had already climbed many of the summits, I decided to try to do the list. A fellow I knew had all the summits completed except North Palisade, which he had tried earlier and failed. So I "guided" him up a western route. Although not a great climber, he was a lot more gutsy than me with respect to trespass issues. We did Sutter Buttes - had quite a time. Got up 4AM, sneaked onto the road, got to the top at sunrise. On the way down we spotted a person in the distance so lay down in the tall grass, trying to hide. The guy walks up to us and says in a thick accent, "I lost my sheep". We had seen his sheep and told him where to find them, and got out of there as quick as possible. A few of the other peaks required a short trespass to touch the actual high point. I have always been a nervous Nellie with doing this.

Whether I finish or not, is had been a great experience. It has taken me to places I would have never gone, otherwise. Some of those county high points are pretty remote! There also is a web site for county high points - so probably do not need the book anymore. An amazingly small number of people have actually finished the list. The only peak I have tried and failed is Little Blue Peak (Yolo). I ended up in totally stopped by brush. They actually suggest you need to take pruning clippers with you to complete this route, which is covered with poison oak.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Nice trip report. I was up on Mt Rose the same morning celebrating my birthday. It was a great day to climb.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Yes, I walked up Mt Vacca, Solano County high point. Basically walk up a road.
Yes, you walk up Mix Canyon Road. It is the steepest paved road in the U.S. Sometimes we train by carrying our weighted packs up that road.

Thanks,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Tollermom wrote:Nice trip report. I was up on Mt Rose the same morning celebrating my birthday. It was a great day to climb
Congratulations with your climb. We celebrated Sport's B-day by climbing Mt. Shasta.

We think we recognize you from the climb. We started our day from Vacaville so we didn't hit the trail until about 10:30. What time did you summit?

Thanks,

-Russ and Sport

Kahil Gibran.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Vaca Russ wrote:
Tollermom wrote:Nice trip report. I was up on Mt Rose the same morning celebrating my birthday. It was a great day to climb
We think we recognize you from the climb. We started our day from Vacaville so we didn't hit the trail until about 10:30. What time did you summit?
We summited about the time you hit the trailhead 10:30 ish ..likely passed you on the trip down. We got back to the car about 1:30.