Seville Lake TR 6/8/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Seville Lake TR 6/8/14

Post by evilgenius32 »

Last Sunday my Cousin and I decided to take a day hike to Seville Lake near the Jenny Lakes Wilderness. We left the Valley around 7 and made it to the trailhead by 9. Getting all our stuff together and taking a picture put us on the trail by 9:15.

We saw one patch of snow around 8600 ft on the way, but other than that nothing. ImageImage

The seasonal streams were all running low but the mosquitoes weren’t. Image

After hiking up the thousand feet to the top of Marvin Pass the little buggers were annoying enough for us to stop and put on some spray. Of course that was the only reason we stopped after the climb. ;)

As the trail leveled out we passed through some burnt forest and saw some pretty views of Ball Dome and the granite back of Seville Lake.

ImageImageImageImage

Finally we made it to the lake just after noon and sat down for lunch. ImageImageImage

There was a ranger there with four pack horses taking surveys and pictures of trees. Apparently a group of campers the previous weekend had tried to chop down a tree and quit 80% of the way through. It was standing right in the middle of camping sites. We headed around to the right side for a little fishing.

There were enough mosquitoes that it made standing more like dancing, but the fishing was good. With a fly and bubble rig I had 4 reeled in within in a half hour with many more bites.Image

I switched to a roostertail lure and threw it out deep. They were very aggressive striking as it hit the water and all the way back. One more catch and it was time to go home. It’s never enough in the Sierra. The climb back proved difficult but we made it back in the same amount of time it took to hike in, not bad.
Back to the truck.

Now the drive down. We stopped in Squaw Valley at Bear Mtn. Pizza for arguably the best pizza around.

Here's our elevation profile coming back, that first climb out is tough!Image
Now back to life after some much needed R&R. Hope you enjoyed!
-Zac
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seville Lake TR 6/8/14

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures. :thumbsup:
Evilgenius32 wrote:

There was a ranger there with four pack horses taking surveys and pictures of trees.
Apparently a group of campers the previous weekend had tried to chop down a tree
and quit 80% of the way through.
Great, those nuts not only tried chopping a tree down, why? But then leave it to possible
fall on someone else. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org