Theodore Solomons Trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Theodore Solomons Trail?

Post by TehipiteTom »

lambertiana wrote:Elwood -

If you plan to go from Rogers Creek to Simpson in one day, you're burlier than I am. When I went in 2007, I camped at one of the creeks between Rogers Creek and Gnat Meadow. The next day we went a little past the crossing of Blue Canyon Creek a little above Tehipite Valley proper. And the day after that we went a little beyond Simpson, camping at the tiny brook that comes down from the east side of Windy Peak. Those weren't terribly long trail days, but I would not classify them as short, either. Twelve miles is twelve miles, especially when you are following a trace that fades in and out.

It is best to take your time dropping into Tehipite, the "trail" is practically nonexistent and covered with leaves over loose rock. And it is easy to lose the trail and wander off, as happened with Amy Racina (see the above-referenced book Angels in the Wilderness). The trail up the middle fork is also not maintained, but there were only a few spots where we got off course because it was fading in and out.
I agree with this--Rodgers to Simpson would be a crazy brutal day.

One thing about the creeks past Rodgers is that they do tend to dry up (or trickle at best) in late season. If you're thinking about doing this trip this year, Rodgers is your last good bet for a campsite with water. I would do Rodgers first night, Tehipite second night (really nice, spacious campsites just before and just after Crown Creek), and Simpson Meadow the third (still a pretty long day in my book).
Elwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Elwood »

Thanks for the last two responses! I'm just in the planning stages of this, & my only resource thus far is the guide to the Theodore Solomons Trail. I plan on picking up quadrangle maps for section 2, or printing them from a DVD to research this 96-mi./7-day hike planned for next July. I totally agree with you guys after reading more in this guidebook. Depending on the water situation next year, we'll either camp at Rodgers Creek, or a little closer to the rim. Then do two nights in the Tehipite Valley, one at each end. In this trip from Badger Flat to Roads End, my other over nights are: Helms Meadow, Halfmoon Lake, & Granite Lake. This should give us a little time each evening for those who want to do a little casting. Thanks for all the info, Elwood
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There's fishing in Helms Meadows? news to me. I guess some of the mosquitos might be big enough to eat?
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

To give you an idea of the possible water situation, I went in mid-August of 2007, which was a 70% snow year in that area. We camped at the third creek crossing after Rodger's Creek. The first two creeks were too dry, but the third had decent flow. It wasn't a roaring cascade, but had sufficient flow to get water without any trouble. We had to clear a spot to camp because the growth was dense. I don't know how much of that immediate area was impacted by the 2008 forest fire.

There is a decent campsite at Gnat Meadow (often called Hay Meadow on maps) but the creek there didn't have a terrific flow when we went by. It would have been possible to get enough water for our use, but not much more.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I hiked a section of the Solomons trail in 2006. I went from Clover Meadow through the Kaiser Wilderness and exited the Maxson TH near Courtwright Reservoir a week later.

The trail was suffering from a lot of deadfall in the Kaiser W. section (aka. "California Riding Trail"). In some places, it was hard to tell where the trail was.

I have heard that the Backcountry Horsemen's Association did a lot of work a few years ago to cut the downfall and clear the trail. I haven't been back down there to see what it looks like, now.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Does anyone have any recent reports of water availability between Badger Flat & Roads End, along the Theodore Solomons Trail? Thanks! Elwood
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The lakes all have water. The meadows are drying up fast. No bets on creeks - they are running now, however, who knows what will happen over the next month.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

My buddies & I will be hiking from Badger Flat Campground to Roads End Aug 5th to the 11th. Two spots will be camping at that water availability concerns me are: Helms Meadow & Rodgers Creek? Two more camps will be at lakes, & the other two will be in Tehipite Valley, so water shouldn't be an issue at these camps.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Our hike is coming up in two weeks & I was hoping someone has current water conditions for either Helms Meadow or Rodgers Creek? Thanks!
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

The publisher of the Dennis Gagnon "Guide to the Theodore Solomons Trail" will soon be releasing a Kindle e-version of the out-of-print book.

Also, Gary Buscombe's pamphlet guide to the same trail may be updated after some trail research is conducted this next year and re-issued as an e-book. There's also been some discussion as to the possibility of re-printing a paper version.