Great Western Divide Loop Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
EasternSierra
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Great Western Divide Loop Question

Post by EasternSierra »

Thanks for the info. I had heard that MacLeod can be a little strenuous and loose so I'll keep that in mind. Another question: Do you guys bring ice-axes crampons this early in the season for these passes? I am asking because I remember July 4th 2010 where my wife and I went over New Army pass on our way up Langley when it was all snowed over with a cornice. We probably should have had crampons on. It was a little scary. RJ Secor's book says that Longley can have a cornice in early season but that you can avoid it on the north side by doing some class 3. Based on that, I'm wondering if MacLeod will be better if there's still a lot of snow.
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Pato wrote:I can't help with the conditions this year, but I did a similar loop last year. TR is here:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=9837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using MacLeod Pass - even though its rated as Class II we found it to be very slow, dangerous (rockfall), and just downright un-enjoyable
Hey Pato, I am assuming that the pass that you are flipping the bird at in the picture in your trail report is MacLeod pass? Do you think it would be easier doing the pass in reverse? I have heard that the western side is worse than the eastern side. I'd rather go up the hard part than go down.

Also are you a duck? I'm a duck. Go ducks!
Pato
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pato »

That is MacLeod receiving the bird in the TR but that's not me. We ascended the eastern side of the pass which is pretty straightforward talus and descended the west. The western side is very steep and loose. It was impossible not to knock down a lot of rock so we took turns descending. I think the pass would be easier the direction we took (east to west). I was undecided about the route we took versus Thunder Pass/Longley combo but decided last minute that I didn't like the up and down required to via Longley. I regretted that decision almost immediately. I haven't been over Longley but everything I've heard is that the cornice is quite small and easily bypassed. The approach from South Guard looked like a walk up.

No I'm not an Oregon duck, but I have other connections to the species!
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Okay good information. Thanks!
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Great Western Divide Loop Question

Post by alpinemike »

I am bringing an ice ax just for the record and I definitely believe it will be necessary on certain passes. Longley may be one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

alpinemike wrote:I am bringing an ice ax just for the record and I definitely believe it will be necessary on certain passes. Longley may be one of them.
Good to know. Do you bring crampons or microspikes at all or just an ice axe?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I brought microspike type things when I went 2 weeks ago into the Ansel Adams wilderness to climb North Glacier Pass and Ritter-Banner Saddle from the Lake Catherine side. They were helpful but not necessary. I just waited for the snow to soften up enough. Since it's not late season there should not be any ice unless it's early in the morning. On this trip I will not be bringing them since I already have 45 pounds of gear. That does include my 14 days of food. I like having an ice ax because it provides a good deal of safety at least for me. I know I can self arrest and I'm sure the conditions will warrant that. I'm leaving for it in the next 3 hours so I'll report when I get back.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Sounds good. Good luck and have a great trip!