Backpacking Responsibly

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking Responsibly

Post by whrdafamI? »

So how long before anti-gunners are going to rag on this guy for using a Henry rifle for a user name? How many on here can TRULY say they have "always" done it right, have never F'ed up and are always perfect? My hats off to you. Interesting that a few years ago another poster said on here a few times that he didn't care if he came up missing and had to have a SAR group look for him and hardly anyone got upset about that. This is a classic example of how we learn. Too bad you experts couldn't see the humor in what he wrote instead of pointing out his short comings which, by the way, he had ALREADY cited. How wonderful it must be to be so perfect. In my opinion 1866yellowboy has nothing to apologize for but there should be some coming his way.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backpacking Responsibly

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm glad for the clarification, but everything I said stands - get mad all you like, but, it is irresponsible to not talk about mistakes and reducing risk. if you think anyone is pretending perfection you need to learn to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

whrdafamI wrote:How many on here can TRULY say they have "always" done it right, have never F'ed up and are always perfect?
I don't think anyone is claiming perfection. People are just concerned, most likely because we've found ourselves in scary situations due to lapses in judgement. And I think maybe we read a bit of bravado into the post that may or may not have really been there on the trip.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

[quote="AlmostThere"]I'm glad for the clarification, but everything I said stands - get mad all you like, but, it is irresponsible to not talk about mistakes and reducing risk. if you think anyone is pretending perfection you need to learn to read.

I didn't pick anyone out in particular as saying they were "perfect" and I can read just fine. I just think that when someone posts a TR on here and then gets singled out for not having done it right after admitting he hadn't is BS. Maybe you should re-read the TR and see what you missed.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

My 2 cents after reading it was that it was entertaining to read, but yes, I cringed at some parts due to concern, especially the part about not bringing a map and going off memory (if I read that part correctly as it was a bit ambiguous).

I bet your buddy always brings the right shoes now. :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i think the point Mav was trying to make is don't go injured. If injured, come out fast.

It was a good TR. we've all had our failures. Most of us admit them in our TR's. That's what helps everyone else.

Like Marks latest 2nd degree burns on his ankles because he wears shorts in a raft. Troutdog with what seems like AMS. Me when i twisted an ankle a couple years ago out of the dinkeys. OR asked me if he should press the spot button. No, as I had done this before at Virginia in Yose and knew i could get out.

The point is, make the decision quickly, and be precise on your decision.

When new people show up here, ask them about their gear, documentation of their trip, etc. It helps shape the trips they are embarking on.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
i think the point Mav was trying to make is don't go injured. If injured, come out fast.
Yes, that was my main point Russ. No where was any criticism intended, no one felt or
got disrespected, and no need for any apologizes. Looking forward to reading the OP's
next adventure.

Way to go Netherlands!!!!!!! :clapper They will win the World Cup this time around. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Backpacking Responsibly

Post by AlmostThere »

whrdafamI wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'm glad for the clarification, but everything I said stands - get mad all you like, but, it is irresponsible to not talk about mistakes and reducing risk. if you think anyone is pretending perfection you need to learn to read.

I didn't pick anyone out in particular as saying they were "perfect" and I can read just fine. I just think that when someone posts a TR on here and then gets singled out for not having done it right after admitting he hadn't is BS. Maybe you should re-read the TR and see what you missed.

I read and write for a living, read the TR, and understood that no one was being singled out just from Mavericks's post - so sorry, no problems here. I didn't have the point fly by me.

The TR reads like many stories that end with a SAR - only like so many others it did not. we can make the same mistakes over and over yet only pay the price once - the last time. Thus it is important to talk about mistakes for what they are before they become a real problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AT wrote:
Thus it is important to talk about mistakes for what they are before they
become a real problem.

Exactly, and some of us here feel that if we did not, then we would be part
of the problem.

Personally I am proud to be part of community that has members that will point
out or address issues that could lead to serious repercussions in the future. To me
it is a sign of compassion and caring for each others well being, having each others
back.

There are plenty of other forums which you can find the exact opposite, where
drama, name calling, and other attitudes rule, which personally I want no part of.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

AlmostThere,

I tried to send you a PM, but you have that function disabled on your account. (I don't blame you-I get some nutty PMs from some members.) That being the case, I will just post here. I wanted to say how well written and well reasoned your posts in this thread are and how strongly I agree with everything you have said, not only in this thread, but others similar to it over the past few months.

Tom